Students viewing comments before an instructor is done grading in Speedgrader

Jump to solution
amyjohns
Community Novice

Hello!  We are new to Canvas and getting ready to deploy our first set of courses in the FA15 semester.

One question brought to us was this:  If an instructor is writing comments in the Speedgrader, can the student see the comments possibly even before the instructor is done grading?  It seems so to me.  Am I missing something or are there any workarounds that I am unaware of? 

Thank you!

Amy Johns

Labels (1)
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@amyjohns ​, to tell you the truth I'd never thought of this before, but I went in and checked and you are 100% correct. I was logged in as a real student (in Chrome) and as me (in Firefox), added a few comments to Crocodoc, and checked and the student could see the comments and the picture I drew on his paper in Crocodoc. And no, I wasn't done grading. I then added a comment (in the "add a comment box") and grades/comments to a rubric and they showed up as well.

I then muted the assignment and the student couldn't see any of my grading or comments for Crocodoc or the rubric. Yet, the student could still see anything I added in the, "Add a comment box." So, my suggestion is to (1) don't submit comments in the "Add a comment box" until you are done grading the student's work or (2) If they are ongoing comments, add them directly to the submission via Crocodoc  or a rubric.

Here are some guides that show how to mute an assignment:

Hope this helps!

Update: I just tested this again (11.30.15) just to be sure and now NOTHING shows up when I've muted an assignment (so no comments, access to crocodoc, rubric information, etc). This is different from before, so I'm not sure when it changed.

View solution in original post