cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baxl
Adventurer

Turnitin issues

We have been testing the Turnitin LTI and have noticed several issues.  I've looked through the community and see others are experiencing the Turnitin woes.

Here are a couple of issues we have found:

• if a student re-submits their assignment within a 5 minute timeframe the assignment submission is off sync meaning that the previous submission will show with the new submission document title, e.g., if I submit assignment ABC with ABC text and then immediately submit assignment XYZ with XYZ text, the submission will show XYZ title but with ABC text. 
  • Students can't see their submissions like they can without Turnitin enabled.   Without Turnitin enabled, when a student submits an assignment, it's saved in their unfiled folder in Files. 
  • Student can view "Preview" in Submission Details because it's rendering in Crocodoc viewer.  After teacher grades the assignment in LTI, it won't display because it was edited in Feedback Studio.
  • Differentiated assignments - if there is an "Until date" and "Due Date" set in Canvas for a student, they will see the due date and until date on the assignment details page.  If the "Until Date" is removed, the student's due date is now the other student's due date. 

There are several others, but these are some of the items we noticed and wanted to know if anyone has noticed these issues and any workarounds available or other software recommendations?

Thanks all!

Lisa

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'll tag  @dhulsey ​ in on this, but you might also want to check out his blog called Canvas and Turnitin​.  Lots of questions answered there, too.  Smiley Happy

crafte
Adventurer II

Hi  @baxl ​, we have noticed the problem with resubmissions I described here: New Turnitin/SpeedGrader Issue with Resubmissions

In our case students had resubmitted their papers up to two weeks after the first one. Still the second submission in SpeedGrader was another copy of the first submission.

dhulsey
Explorer II

• Student can view "Preview" in Submission Details because it's rendering in Crocodoc viewer.  After teacher grades the assignment in LTI, it won't display because it was edited in Feedback Studio.

-- I believe dreesd​ reported a similar issue to support, but, in his case, I think his instructors wanted to grade in Crocodoc. To me, it makes sense that if the grading occurs in Tutnitin that students would not need or want to access Crocodoc as the original file, originality report, and instructor feedback would be available on the Turnitin side. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the need for Crocodoc?

I don't think my students ever look in their files area at all, but I direct them to Turnitin if they would like to download the original file as submitted to the assignment. You could file a ticket with Canvas support and see what they say on this issue. Perhaps it is a bug because the idea is that Turnitin sends a copy of the file back to Canvas, so it makes sense that the file would be connected to the student's materials in Canvas.

• Differentiated assignments - if there is an "Until date" and "Due Date" set in Canvas for a student, they will see the due date and until date on the assignment details page.  If the "Until Date" is removed, the student's due date is now the other student's due date.

To the best of my knowledge problems with differentiated assignments is a  known shortcoming / design issue of external submission assignments. Canvas has differentiated assignments, but Turnitin (and many other external tools) do not. The known work around is to only differentiate one group of students and to add a separate assignment for each group needing a due date. There are more details on working around this problem in the blog Chris referred you to. Hopefully, I have understood your need here.

I hope that helps!

I have not heard back about it yet but others have reported this too.

Thank you to everyone who responded!  I'm checking out all of the community links you've posted and this is very helpful. 

dreesd​ - Did you ever hear back regarding this issue? We're seeing this problem also, and I'm curious whether it has been resolved for others or is just an ongoing problem.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@baxl a,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I was able to work through the problems from the links that everyone provided.