Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petermarchetti
Community Member

USU tool/Kennethware Template Wizard issue

Jump to solution

Hi all,

We've been using the excellent USU custom tools/Kennethware 2.0 for a while at our institution but have never managed to get the template wizard to work properly.

When you click on "Template Wizard" on the left sidebar or the "Change custom banner" button, Canvas opens a new tab looking to load an external tool (URL - http://institution.instructure.com/courses/<course number>/external_tools/<tool number>) at which point you get the message "The page you were looking for doesn't exist."

Has anyone else experienced this and managed to resolve it?

Cheers

Peter

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
N_YOUNG
Community Member

It likely means that your Canvas Admin has not installed and configured the Kennethware software correctly to point to the location where it is actually installed.

To determine which URL it is not finding, right-click inside the area where the error message is shown, and then click "show frame information" (or equivalent for whatever browser you're using). That will tell you which URL the Kennethware LTI tool is attempting to load inside the iFrame.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
N_YOUNG
Community Member

It likely means that your Canvas Admin has not installed and configured the Kennethware software correctly to point to the location where it is actually installed.

To determine which URL it is not finding, right-click inside the area where the error message is shown, and then click "show frame information" (or equivalent for whatever browser you're using). That will tell you which URL the Kennethware LTI tool is attempting to load inside the iFrame.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm going to tag  @kenneth_larsen ​ (aka "Kenneth") on this post to see if he can also help with this!

kenneth_larsen
Surveyor

N_YOUNG​ is correct. Something was not configured properly when the LTI tool was installed. If you want to bring into this conversation someone at your institution with access to the server where you are hosting the tools, I would be happy to help get you up and running. You can also find instructions for configuring the Template Wizard at Template Wizard Installation: USU Design Tools​. Installation of the Template Wizard can be interesting because everyone seems to have their servers configured a little bit different.

Thanks for the response Kenneth. We were using an older version so I did a fresh install on our test instance yesterday (I'm the one with the server access etc) - I thought I'd managed to install it correctly, checking through it in conjunction with the instructions - but clearly not!

Following N_YOUNG advice I can see that it is pointing to the right domain for tools and by the looks of it the correct location: https://<our-domain>/kennethware-2.0-master/wizard/controller.php so it could very well be a server setting that is preventing access to the file.

Any further help much appreciated.

@petermarchetti ​ ... can you visit that full URL in a browser?

In a brand new browser/incognito window, you should be able to go to https://<our-domain>/kennethware-2.0-master/wizard/controller.php and get an error that looks something like this:

Notice: Undefined index: lti_message_type in /path/to/our/kennethware/wizard/resources/blti.php on line 8 Notice: Undefined index: lti_version in /path/to/our/kennethware/wizard/resources/blti.php on line 9 Notice: Undefined index: resource_link_id in /path/to/our/kennethware/wizard/resources/blti.php on line 10 There is a problem.

(this is the error that gets shown if you visit the controller directly instead of via the LTI tool in canvas)

If you get a 404 message, it's because that URL is incorrect, or there's something wrong with the server not allowing access to it. If you get that message above, then the URL is correct, and *should* work (assuming you have the other parts of the configuration set correctly (per the instructions for installation).

I think it's definitely something server side. I've been testing links within the folder (ie  to image files) and also getting 404s so it has something to do with that. Still investigating what's going on there.

Thanks for your continued input!