cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

What admin features would you like to see?

I'm sure there are a ton of feature requests out there, but I was just curious what sort of options people were looking for in terms of enhancements to the admin interface. Speaking with my account manager I did mention that it seems like it's been a very long time since we've had any admin love in terms of updates and features. Obviously Canvas is super student centered which is why we chose to go with it in the first place but still it would be nice to get a couple of enhancements.

My top 3

1. Paganation on the Course lists - I'm pretty sure everyone has run into this where you are basically forced to search for a course since most schools have more than 267 or whatever the limit is. Users has pages why can't courses?

2. Show deleted courses option - If we need to restore a course we need the Canvas ID, which is a number only Canvas uses and we often don't track/have it. It would be awesome to see a list of deleted courses with a click to bring them back. It's a rare occurrance but we have had to restore courses and it is not the shortest task.

3. More variety for permissions - Often we have to go through permissions via trial and error to get a custom role the way we want. I think a balance could be struck between having too many and not enough.

Maybe we can get a list of feature requests going here so we can browse and vote up!

Tags (1)
43 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

hollands@rowan.edu​ - great idea!

My top 3 (in no specific order)

1. More efficient way to search for courses and people. Ex: An instructor says they're having problems with their English course - great, which one?  Option 1 - Search for the instructor and then scroll through every course they've taught using Canvas trying to figure out which one is from this semester. Option 2 - If I try looking it up by course then I get a list of EVERY English course ever and then have to do an extra click to get those just from this semester and then still have to scroll through looking for the specific instructor. Overall I waste a ridiculous amount of time every day trying to find specific courses or people. There is already a feature request for this - - so once it's ready to be voted on please go vote for this!

2. Permissions. Permissions. Permissions. I would love to have a list of all the permissions, exactly what they control/impact, and other permissions that they are tied to. In way too many cases you check a box and not just that permission changes, but many others that you didn't want to change. OR, you check the box and it doesn't work because you needed to have another box checked (or unchecked) for that permission to work. I'd also love more granular permissions. It drives me a little crazy when I'm trying to give a certain role a specific permission, but I can't because it's tied with another permission the person can't/shouldn't have.

3. Reports. I'd love to have more variety with the admin reports. Yes I know you can get pretty much everything through API calls, which we do a lot of, but for your average admin user (one one without a dedicated IT staff) it would be great to be able to define a few variables, click a button, and get the data! Poof. Magic. dream​

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

EnrollmentReporting.jpgI agree with kona@richland.edu​ on reports.  I wish we had more reporting features.  Within the past year, our Technical College has transitioned from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio LMS to Canvas.  In LearningStudio, we had something called "Enterprise Reporting".  The tools that we had in "ER" were awesome.  I could create my own reports based on all kinds of different data.  I could pick and choose what data I wanted and create my own spreadsheets.  I've included a screen shot to show just a small sample of the kinds of data we could get from LearningStudio.

Other things I'd like to see added for Admins:

• (my own idea)
  • (my own idea)
  • (my own idea)
Highlighted

chofer@morainepark.edu​ yeah reports is definitely something I'd like to see. I did hear that Instructure might be opening up some access to the back end of your instance but I don't know much about it. I made the mistake of saying we weren't interested in beta-ing it (mostly too busy).

I also think it would be awesome to see some Analytics/stats love especially at the account level. Grade breakdowns are probably great for sub accounts but sometimes I'd love to see a pie chart of the courses that use the most space, or have the most uploaded content. Having page views is great but what about average time spent in an area?

Highlighted

Yeah the permissions thing is getting somewhat problematic. I also hate how if you create a new role off of an existing one it still treats the new role like the old. At my former institution we had organizations (which were courses but for non academic needs) and we wanted to create custom roles since people in them were not students and teachers. All of the course invites to out as "teacher" or "student" even after we changed the role. Most people did't mind but I was surprised at how many faculty were upset.

Highlighted

That information would be helpful, too.  I could post more screen shots of our "ER" screens in LearningStudio, but my postings would get pretty long.  I'm going to miss that part of LearningStudio when we no longer have access to it later this year.  I would run reports every once in a while and then blog about them...so we could provide some interesting data to our faculty about the first week of the semester.

Highlighted

I am so glad that you-all can finally have conversations that are sort of back channel and separate from feature suggestions - a place for everything and everything hopefully in its place.

Highlighted
Explorer III

• Easier account navigation - I would like to see a search interface with autocomplete for navigating to subaccounts.  Also, we have admins in subaccounts with a subset of admin rights. Even though they have permission to access child nodes, the subaccounts menu does not display in the node to which they are assigned, so they have no way to get to child subaccounts. 
  • Sticky header column in Permissions screen - the list of roles disappears as you scroll down through course and account roles permissions screen.  We have added several roles to both screens and it's hard to know which role you are changing when you adjust permissions.

I'm in full agreement that we need better reporting and the need for more granular and better documented permissions.

Highlighted

Thanks to hollands@rowan.edu​ for starting the discussion!!!

Highlighted
Community Member

hollands@rowan.edu​, your top 3 are my top 3 as well.   The pagination on course lists needs to work on sub-accounts as well.