cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

What admin features would you like to see?

I'm sure there are a ton of feature requests out there, but I was just curious what sort of options people were looking for in terms of enhancements to the admin interface. Speaking with my account manager I did mention that it seems like it's been a very long time since we've had any admin love in terms of updates and features. Obviously Canvas is super student centered which is why we chose to go with it in the first place but still it would be nice to get a couple of enhancements.

My top 3

1. Paganation on the Course lists - I'm pretty sure everyone has run into this where you are basically forced to search for a course since most schools have more than 267 or whatever the limit is. Users has pages why can't courses?

2. Show deleted courses option - If we need to restore a course we need the Canvas ID, which is a number only Canvas uses and we often don't track/have it. It would be awesome to see a list of deleted courses with a click to bring them back. It's a rare occurrance but we have had to restore courses and it is not the shortest task.

3. More variety for permissions - Often we have to go through permissions via trial and error to get a custom role the way we want. I think a balance could be struck between having too many and not enough.

Maybe we can get a list of feature requests going here so we can browse and vote up!

Tags (1)
43 Replies
Highlighted

That's pretty awesome, bbelew@frontenac249.org​!  I would maybe want to see one more column, the Username/UserID of the person.

Highlighted
Community Member

I see a common 3 emerging:

Permissions - I'll start off by adding my support of more granular permission options. I have had a difficult time setting up roles for Deans, Deans Assistants, Financial Aid staff, etc. There are good reasons for allowing these types of staff access to Canvas rather than having them run all their requests through me, but giving them the right amount of access (just enough, but not too much), is hard.

Reports - Agreed, but as already stated there is a solution coming for this, and many things can already be accomplished through the API.

But let's get to what seems to be the "big one."

Search - Search is an admin's best friend or worst enemy. It's probably the most common task I do in Canvas because it is the starting point for so many other tasks.

There are lots of good ideas already around for ways to make search better (I'll tag mine here: ), but really, anything that can be done to make search easier, faster, more thorough, cover more content, is going to make us admins better at our job. I feel like search could be branched off into a separate thread where we all kick around ideas. I thought about posting some specific examples of what I wanted to see from search and commenting on others specific ideas, but decided to refrain so this post wouldn't be a novel. Put shortly though, I want to be able to search all the things from anywhere I happen to be in Canvas. I eagerly look forward to a thorough discussion on ways to enhance search.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

AdminPages.jpgAnother idea I just had...  Although this doesn't happen a lot, it does happen from time to time...where we need to manually enroll someone in multiple (let's just say 5+ courses for the time being) courses.  While I could certainly just log in to each course and manually add the user...or I could create a CSV file to upload via the SIS Import menu, it would also be nice to search for a specific user in the Admin Pages of Canvas, select the term I'm looking for, and then further select the courses in that term I want the user to be enrolled in (specifying the kind of access he/she needs as well).

We could do something similar to that in our previous LMS, Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio.  Here's a screen shot where I've already selected one of my own accounts, selected the term I wanted, and now I can use the check boxes to select as many courses as I want to enroll myself in.  Very quick and easy to do from the Administrative Pages of LearningStudio.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

This would be great - actually looks like what our previous LMS had, which we liked - except I'd remove grade level (doesn't matter for us) and insert username/netid and ID#.

Highlighted
Community Member

Best way to have it would be configurable by the user.   Have a default setting and then allow each person to change the columns to what they want to see.    Maybe even with a custom field or two added as well.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Grade doesn't matter for us, either.  It could be replaced with the User ID.

Highlighted
Learner II

Bulk Deletes for manually enrolled users.

We have a really weird situation where one department likes to add hundreds of users into Canvas manually.  Through the +People screens, you can copy/paste in hundreds of email addresses just fine.  But then when they decide they don't need them in there anymore, they call on their friendly Canvas Admin to try to remove them.  Since they weren't added via SIS Import, they can't easily be remove via SIS Import.  Removing them from the GUI is a person-by-person process.  Admins need to at the very least have check-boxes on the People screen where we can do certain actions like removing users from a course en masse.

Highlighted
Community Member

I would love to see breaking out of some of the permissions as well. Particularly the ability to add/delete/edit courses. We want to lock that feature down and manage it through SIS or via root admin but in order to remove sub account admin ability we'd have to turn off their ability to add/delete while still allowing the permission to edit.

It would also be great to have an inactive user status so that we can restrict access to Canvas without deleting users and all of their interactions.

Highlighted

mfranz@howardcc.edu​, re: the "inactive user" status...have you seen this feature idea that's going to be open for voting? 

Highlighted

I agree! I would like to see at least the SIS ID or login/username for the user. This will make it very easy for me to pick out whether that result is parent, student or staff.