cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mgalbincea
Surveyor II

What triggers course invitation emails

Jump to solution

Hello, I am an LMS Admin and I was wondering here if anyone could help with a question. If I add students to a course to a course and it is unpublished do they still get an email invitation? Would it be the same for Faculty as well?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dgrobani
Adventurer III

How do I add users to a course? has helpful info, including this:

Users are not sent a course invitation until the course start date. (The start date is commonly the term date, unless the term is being overridden by a specific course or section date in Course Settings.) Additionally, courses must be published for students to receive course invitations.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dgrobani
Adventurer III

How do I add users to a course? has helpful info, including this:

Users are not sent a course invitation until the course start date. (The start date is commonly the term date, unless the term is being overridden by a specific course or section date in Course Settings.) Additionally, courses must be published for students to receive course invitations.

View solution in original post

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Teachers, on the other hand, should get their invitations right away (at least they do at our school), regardless if it is published or unpublished.

dgrobani
Adventurer III

@bcrook, that seems to be the case with our institution, too. The guide saying "users" is making me wonder if I'm wrong, the guide is wrong, or if there's a nuance I've missed.

dgrobani
Adventurer III

In the Notes section below the paragraph I quoted, it says "Course invitations are not sent until the course is published." That seems pretty categorical to me.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I believe it currently works the way it should.  Allowing teachers the ability to prep the course before it's published live to the students.

dgrobani
Adventurer III

Exactly. The documentation seems to say otherwise.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hey @erinhmcmillan !  How are ya doing? We may have found a discrepancy in course guides.  Who would be the person in charge of those goodies?

jlubkinchavez
Adventurer

You don't say how you're adding students, but FYI that if you add them via SIS import, others' experience and my own is that they do not get a notification. That's whether or not the course is published. See https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Are-students-emailed-a-notification-of-enrollment-... If you're adding them manually, the above comments/questions apply.

Hi, Beth!
The bottom of the guide includes instructions about how to submit feedback. The doc team will get it and can consider the feedback for updates.
Thanks!
Erin