cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdelillo
Community Member

"Hidden" Feature Options

Looking at this week's release notes, I realized that the Scheduler option does not actually appear on our list of Account or Course Feature Options in the root level Settings, even though we have it enabled. I've often wondered why the Profiles feature isn't listed there, either (this has been asked about before - Where is information about "Profiles," please? - but not really answered).

When I looked over these guides: What feature options are currently available at the course level?‌ and What feature options are currently available at the account level?‌, the two above are not mentioned.

Other there other "hidden" feature options that I've forgotten about? Should they be added to the aforementioned guides,  @CanvasDocTeam ‌? 

32 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

What about Chat? I know it's mentioned on the guide itself - What is Chat? - but I don't see it mentioned on the guides you linked to above.

"The Chat tool must be enabled for your institution before it can be used in Canvas courses. If you are an admin, contact your Customer Success Manager for assistance."

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's another one - Faculty Journal - What is a faculty journal and what is it used for? &

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm on a roll... with Roll Call Attendance! What is the Roll Call Attendance Tool? 

The Attendance tool must be enabled for your institution before it can be used in Canvas courses. If you are an admin, contact your Customer Success Manager for assistance.

So the theme seems to be "things that your CSM has to enable BEFORE an Admin can then enable them."

tdelillo
Community Member

You ARE on a roll! Thanks, this is great. I wasn't even thinking of Chat or Attendance because I tend to forget they're not "standard" Canvas.

To your point about trying to pinpoint a theme, there are others, though, that a CSM must enable that ARE listed in those guides, like Post Grades to SIS and Require Usage Rights for Uploaded Files...

lekern
Learner II

As someone who is configuring and administrating a new instance of Canvas, it has been challenging to find all of the feature options that require CSM support to implement. We've been discovering them one by one as our faculty find references to them, or bring knowledge from other schools and ask where the function is. Sure would be swell to have a maintained checklist of items that are CSM-enabled and in the documentation, along with those that are CSM-enabled and not in the documentation ... BTW, the list that you have generated so far has pretty much covered my recent hit parade of surprises.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lekern ‌, It would be nice if it was part of the initial config/on boarding process when you get Canvas set up for your school!

Yes, indeed, Kona.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That way you could plan training, course design, etc WITH these features in mind, not after the fact.

Does Canvas chat work if the students are taken to a different platform when they watch lessons?  For our ArtistWorks Music Students, they are taken onto our own platform which includes chat.  Would they both be working?!