Dropout Detective Information for Faculty

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is a document on Dropout Detective that I provide for my faculty. It covers the different features and some best practices.

13 Comments
natalie_norton1
Community Champion

Thank you  @kona  - this is really useful! We hope to look at a demo, but out of interest can you view a risk profile for a student across all their courses, or is it just at individual course level? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@natalie_norton1 , as an Admin I can see a risk profile for a student across all their courses. So the ranking I see is the ranking by student (but for all the courses the student is enrolled in). The individual course view is just for Instructors.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Thank you  @kona ‌ for providing this helpful information on Dropout Detective. I have a question about "Latest Submission."  Does this detect only if a student submitted something to a Canvas "assignment" or does it also indicate if a student took a graded quiz or posted to a graded discussion? When we report LDA (Last Date of Attendance), we need to look at grade assignments, discussions, and quizzes. If the Dropout Detective tool took all these types of assignments into consideration, then this would indeed be a nifty tool for faculty to quickly and easily determine LDA.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

It means any graded assignment - so discussion, quiz, or assignment. So yes, quite nifty. I will say however that we use something else for our financial aid so they can report last day of attendance - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2015/04/14/assignment-submissions-report-programm...

lharris-ransom
Community Novice

Ocean County College has been very successful with our integration of Dropout Detective in Canvas as well.

dnoud
Community Participant

Thanks  @kona . We are currently looking at taking on Dropout Detective and this is really useful information.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@dnoud , I’m on my phone so I can’t double check, but there might be some updated features since I posted this. They are always working to make Dropout Detective even better!

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Kona

dnoud
Community Participant

Thanks Kona. No specific questions at this stage, but Chris and his team have been super helpful in enabling me to understand how Dropout Detective works.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Excellent! Glad to hear it!

SabrinaM21
Community Member

Thank you for this information. We are looking into this software and appreciate the details. 

jbielecki
Community Participant

Thanks for this information. My college uses Dropout Detective, but it's not working in one of my courses. The error message says, "We're sorry! This course is not supported by Dropout Detective™. The course is being filtered out due to the course filter." Do you know what "the course filter" is? Is that something I (as instructor) set and can fix myself, or is it something the IT department at my college sets? If anyone knows and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

James
Community Champion

@jbielecki 

You would need to reach out to your local Canvas admin. It's likely not something that you could fix on your own.

For our institution, Dropout Detective looks at the SIS Course ID and matches it against a pattern that we gave AspireEDU when we set up Dropout Detective. If the ID doesn't match the pattern, then the course is not monitored. For us, we wanted all online courses to be monitored but none of the face-to-face courses and the SIS ID had that information encoded into it.

That pattern mismatch sounds like what you might be encountering, but your local Canvas admin (or possibly IT department depending on how things are organized) should be able to answer definitively.

robin_bartolett
Community Contributor

@kona Are you all still using Dropout Detective?

Thank you!