Embed Canvas help guides search bar into your site

anthonem
Community Contributor

Hi all,

I just found a way to place a form into our institution's website that helps our users search the Canvas help guides inside Jive (here's the info). It's a rather "brute force" method -- when users click "Search" on our institution's page:

2016-07-07_8-41-07.jpg

A new browser tab appears with the Canvas Jive search results:

2016-07-07_8-42-00.jpg

I limited the search results to "documents" -- this mostly narrows down search results to the help guides, but not completely. Anyone have ideas how I could narrow search results further?

Last but not least -- here is the code I'm using to embed the search bar on our site:

<form action="https://community.canvaslms.com/search.jspa" method="get" target="_blank">

<input class="form-control" title="Enter a keyword or topic to search" name="q" type="text" />

<input type="hidden" name="type" value="document">

<button class="btn btn-default btn-lg" type="submit" value="Search">Search</button></form>

The class "form-control" has a bunch of formatting stuff that is specific to our institution's website. But of course you can use this class to style the search bar however works best for you! The button class is pulling from Bootstrap, which our institution uses to style our website.