Student Access to Canvas Flowchart

sphinney
Community Contributor

Previously, I created a table in which I tried to clarify what settings within Canvas controlled access to a course site for students (Table: Control of Student Access to a Course). At the time it made sense to me, but even after I made it and then returned to it for reference I had to re-orient myself to its structure. Because of this flaw, and also because I never made an accessible version of that document, I set out to make a new document. This time, I decided to use a flowchart format, and to follow it up with an ordered list that would be accessible. So here they are. I hope others out there find them useful.

License Information - The attached documents are in the public domain. Use them however you see fit without attribution.

Tags (1)
12 Comments
lekern
Community Participant

Very helpful. Thank you for posting!

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:08 PM, sphinney@portervillecollege.edu <

tdelillo
Community Champion

This is beautiful and awesome. There's one setting missing though: "Is the 'Users can only participate in the course between these dates' box checked?"

sphinney
Community Contributor

Thank you for bringing that up,  @tdelillo  I struggled with whether or not to include that, and basically left it off out of laziness. I had a really difficult time trying to decide how to include that into the flowchart while still keeping it fairly simple. So, I've revised it a little to incorporate that check box. Let me know if it makes sense or if you see any other errors.

tdelillo
Community Champion

Your revision makes perfect sense to me, but you're right, it's tough to work it in cleanly...

mcconnell_103
Community Explorer

Sarah, This flow chart is so helpful! Could I get your permission to copy this?  I'd like to create a similar flowchart for our faculty. We've been struggling with how to convey this information and I think this visual will be helpful to faculty!  Student Access to Canvas Flowchart

sphinney
Community Contributor

@mcconnell_103  - Oh yes, by all means. Use it and modify it however you want. That goes for anyone. There's no need to ask me. I'm glad to know it might be helpful to your faculty Smiley Happy.

mcconnell_103
Community Explorer

Thanks! I did not want to assume I could use it. 

schalespaula
Community Participant

This is a great document! Is it possible to make it accessible, add alt text, etc...? I would love to add it to the information we provide faculty! Thank you so much for creating this!

sphinney
Community Contributor

@schalespaula ‌, you are welcome to download the document and modify it in any way you want. I have provided an accessible version of the flowchart as an ordered list. It is the Word document that is posted above. For my purposes, I felt that was a better solution than adding alt-text to the PowerPoint images.

schalespaula
Community Participant

Thank you, Sarah. I will include the Word version along with the pdf for those who need the accommodation.

vanessa_clark
Community Explorer

Thank you for sharing! Since the question about reusing and editing came up, I want to put in a plug for open licensing. If you're open to others reusing/remixing/sharing your work, it's a good idea to place an open license on it to let others know what permissions they have. Creative Commons offers a suite of open licenses. This page offers some information about the licenses and how to choose an appropriate license for your work. Thanks again for sharing!

sphinney
Community Contributor

Thank you,  @vanessa_clark ‌. I often do include a CC license. I just failed to include any license info this time. I've updated the message posted with the documents that indicates that I'm placing them in the public domain. I hope that helps.