cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffer
Community Champion

ADA User Setting?

Currently we are looking for a way to update ADA settings for our online students but the only method I found to accomplish this resides at the course level and it requires some updates by the instructor.  Instead of having to repeat this process term over term, is there a way to update a setting on the user profile level that would allow us to set their profile to allow for ADA Accommodations?  This would include extra time for a quiz, or additional days to complete an assignment. 

Thanks,

Jason Schaffer

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

jschaffer​, If you add the students who need accommodations into the course with different user rights the best you could do is give them the ability to do things that normal students can do - ex: manage (add/edit/delete assignments and quizzes). This setting can't be used to automatically give them more time or extended due dates.

Applying the settings course by course (and student by student) is the only way I'm aware of to provide different settings for different students. There could be a way to do this programmatically on the back end of Canvas, but for that you'd want to see the assistance of the Canvas Developers​ group in the Community (they do the back-end programming with Canvas). In addition, you might want to check out this feature idea - - it sounds similar to what you are wanting and is currently under consideration.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

jschaffer,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie