cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbuonato
Community Contributor

Blue Print Course across sub-accounts

I would like to create a blue print class for say Math Grade 3 but we have 5 elementary schools which are all different sub-accounts. Is there anyway to associate that course to the different sub-accounts. In the manual method you can't go across sub accounts.

9 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mbuonato ‌ - For an existing class that you wish to turn into a blueprint, no--it will only associate with the subaccount it is already in.  But what if you created a class on your own that will serve as the blueprint course and placed it at your highest account level?  You should then be able to associate virtually any course from another sub-account with it--no? I just tried this on our test server and it seems to have worked for me.  I associated a couple of courses in our undergraduate subaccount as well as one in our graduate subaccount.

mbuonato
Community Contributor

I created a brand new course at the highest level but in the association I'm only seeing the course at the same level. Did you create your associations through the blue button tool? Did you have to turn on any special course settings?

kblack
Community Champion

By blue button tool I assume you mean that one nestled over on the far right side that expands out..and yes; in fact, I wasn't aware there was a different way(?).  No; nothing special, though I did make it set to the "default term" rather than a specific term.  I wonder if it just depends on the hierarchy involved in one's account.  We have:

OUR SCHOOL

-Undergrad

--divisions (Hist, Engl, etc.)

---courses

-Graduate

--divisions

---courses

I have to admit I was mildly surprised myself when it worked just now, because I could have sworn I had tried that very thing before, but perhaps it didn't work because my previous sample courses were located in a subaccount.  But now that I tried it at the upper level, the menu to associate courses allows me to pick a division and then do a course search:

256670_associated courses menu.jpg

myerdon01
Community Champion

I have created blueprint courses at the highest level and I can associate to any course and choose the sub-account and course that I want to associate to the blueprint parent course. Nothing special in any settings...

mbuonato
Community Contributor

So my issue was too much experimentation. We had associated some courses in a blue print course. Then deleted the course. The course association must be terminated before you delete a course otherwise that course will not be available for another blue print course as it can only be associated once. Kudos to the Canvas tech support for helping me out!

kblack
Community Champion

Ohhh....that's interesting!  It makes sense, I suppose, but a warning message of some sort before the blueprint course was deleted would certainly have helped.  Did they indicate if there should have been a warning message of some sort??

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mbuonato ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

mbuonato
Community Contributor

We have gotten all our blueprint courses arranged now. The tech support was fantastic.

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

It would be very nice to be able to cross sub accounts. We have a Development Subaccount where we build and update courses and then we have a Production subaccount that houses the live courses.