Combo of settings for seeing a past course title, but not click it?

Jump to solution
AdrGau
Community Explorer

hi all!

I'm not sure if this exists - but I'm looking for the combination of course settings and user enrollment status that would show a course in "past enrollments" but have the title of the course not be clickable (i.e. course itself not viewable).

I've been in Canvas for 8+ years now, previously in higher ed and now in a corporate setting. I swore I remembered that a course could have the "restrict access after course end date" checked and still show up for students under "Past enrollments". It seems the course disappears completely. I've tested this round and round and I might just be missing something, and wholly misremembering! It would be great if it acted like "future enrollments" where the course name still shows up.

The need:
Learners need to be able to see that they have taken a past course by seeing the name of the course under Courses > All courses  in Past Enrollments. They should not be able to click into the course to view it.

The problem:
With the "restrict access after course end date" checked (and a date in the course end date), the course completely disappears from All Courses. It acts like Deactivating the user. If the box is not checked, a user can still click into the course (which acts like Concluding).

Any solutions? What am I missing or misremembering?

Thanks y'all!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @AdrGau 

The course settings to restrict all student access will remove it from their past courses under all courses. You have some options but exploring the admin term settings would be a good alternative. You can set different access dates there for students, teachers, etc. This should permit them to still see the course in past but not click into it. Additionally, if you use SIS there are course access dates you can associate it - but it generally would still give students access to click it - just not submit any of  the work there. You will likely want to explore the term options. Hopefully this helps! 

View solution in original post