cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmather
Community Participant

Cross listing section issue

Hi all,

I am new to this roll and need some help. I have an instructor that has cross listed two sections of a class. Both sections have students enroll however when he cross listed them the child section does not show any enrollment. Suggestions?

Thank you for your thoughts

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @kmather ...

When you cross-list two or more courses together, you need to choose which course of your group of courses will be the "parent" course.  Cross-listing courses together essentially moves all enrollments from one course (let's call this the "child" course) into the "parent" course.  It does not move course content.  So, once the cross-listing has been completed, you can log into the "parent" course, visit the "People" page, and you'll see both sets of students from each course listed on that screen.  The original "child" course will no longer have any enrollments in it because the cross-listing has moved those over to the "parent" course.

I hope this helps a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

kmather
Community Participant

Thank you. I just went in and checked the enrollment in the parent  section and the students from the child section are not showing. The students in the child section are still showing as be in the child section. Suggestions?

Thank you

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello again, @kmather ...

When you cross-list two courses, you need to first log in to the "child" course.  This is where you will tell Canvas that you want to cross-list with the "parent" course.  So, using the Guide that I provided to cross-list, sign in to the "child" course.  Then, go to "Settings" in the course, and then click on the "Sections" tab.  You'll then click on the name of your section on that screen, and you should see a button to cross-list courses.  On the pop-up window that opens, you'll enter in the course information from your "parent" course.  After you cross-list the two courses together, you can then log in to your "parent" course, and you should see enrollments from both courses in the "People" tab.  If you need to cross-list another course with these two, repeat the above steps...logging in to that "child" course and cross-list it with the "parent" course.

I hope this additional information will be of help to you.

kmather
Community Participant

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and it did not work,  I did check to see if the sections had been publish because i was told that if they are published you can't cross-list, they are not. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thank you, 

Kathy

gnoack
Community Champion

I find the terms Child and Parent confusing, and reading your posts I wonder if you are at cross purposes.  I find it better to describe cross-listing as "pushing" an enrollment to another course.  You have to start from the course where you want the students to be moved from and tell it where you want them to go. 

If done correctly, that course will no longer show any students, they will be pushed to the other course.