Help with Integrating Populi and Canvas

Jump to solution
mames
Community Member

Hello!

I'm an instructional technologist who's been tasked with integrating Populi and Canvas at our small University here in Rwanda. It's not my skill set and have not been able to do it. Does anyone know where I can get some help with this? I'd like to find someone with experience integrating systems that can either provide advice on how to do this or preform the integration.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Adam,

This part is not that well documented in Populi.

You need to go to the https://cityvision.instructure.com/profile/settings for the user that you want to use for the import.

Then on that page, scroll to the Approved Integrations section and click the + Access Token button.

Create an access token, and copy it down.

Then copy this access token into the place for the token in Populi. Try the test again, and it should work.

After the test works, I recommend setting the sync to be manual, on a course-by-course basis. Then go to the course settings in Populi for a single course, change LMS Sync to Canvas, then go back to the integrations page and click the button to do the sync.

Note that the sync will sync across all users enrolled in the course to Canvas, so if it is a live course, be prepared for that. But the users will not receive an email notification from Canvas, like they would if you added them manually.

Since this is just a test at first, you may want to start by syncing over a test course. But I would suggest having a test faculty and test student in the course so you can test that part works as well.

You can go to the Reporting link (slightly below Integrations on the Populi Account tab) to see spreadsheets of what is sent over to Canvas. On the Canvas side, you can see the data under SIS Import in the Admin section.

Let me know how this works for you, and if you have any other questions after this step. I also have gotten the SAML (single sign-on) and grade sync working. Of those, the SAML was definitely the hardest.

View solution in original post