We are using real-time integration between our Canvas and Banner SIS using the Luminis Message Broker. This is working well for us except for one item: when a "person" event is sent from Banner to Canvas and it creates a new user in the system, it is pulling the users <id> field instead of the users <userid> field. What this means for us is when an instructor is viewing their class roster within their course, for the "SIS ID" column they are seeing a 4 to 6 digit number which means nothing to them, instead of seeing the 9 digit student id # which is what they need to see.
Wondering if anyone knows if it possible, as an admin, to somehow map this field in Canvas so that it uses the <userId> element in the XML event instead of the <id> element?
We have the exact same scenario. For a long time, we thought our Banner/LMB team had designed it that way for some reason, but when I asked about it again recently I got more of a "that's just the way it is" response. I'll be following this discussion out of curiosity...
Thanks @tdelillo . We are also trying to set up a conference call with our Canvas account rep to see if this is possible. Seems the Canvas employed guru on this subject just left, and our account rep is searching for someone with the proper knowledge to have a discussion with. I will be sure to update this thread with any new information once I get it.
Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment. Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.
Hi @Robbie_Grant . I apologize for not updating this thread. We had quick conference call with our Canvas account rep, and were basically told that there is no way for Canvas to change anything on their end to map these fields. We were told that we would need to move to ILP integration which would give us the ability to configure the mapping as we would like. Here are a few notes that I took from the meeting: Thank you for reminding me of the need to update this thread!