cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S9300807
Community Contributor

Issues with Discussion Boards

Today (July 7, 2015) we began to have issues with Discussion Boards.  The Discussion is not closed until July 7 at 11:59PM and it's published but when the students attempt to respond the Discussion Board indicates "This Topic is Closed for Comments".  We verified our Time Zone.  The weird part is that the Discussion Board is open for some students.

Any ideas?? 

6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

S9300807​,

I am currently investigating a report of the exact same issue from last night.  I will update you with what I discover.

Robbie

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

S9300807​,

Here is what I found.  For the example that we received, It stated that the discussion was locked. I clicked on the gear icon for that specific discussion.  I then noticed that it said Open for comments.  Once I clicked the Open for comments option, the discussion became available to the students.  Have you tried this?

I am still trying to find the actual cause of this issue though.

Robbie

S9300807
Community Contributor

We discovered that yes they were Closed but we imported the content from a course where the dates were set correctly but for some reason they got marked closed.  I'm in the same school district as the helpdesk ticket Canvas has... just trying to figure out how it happened to some but not all.

S9300807​,

After doing a little more digging in our beta environment, on our particular case, I am seeing that the date different, by a day, in beta than in production, then when I changed the date, it did not re-open the discussion.

Robbie

S9300807
Community Contributor

We found it to be inconsistent across courses.  We imported the exact same content into 5 Economics courses and for some the Discussions were fine and for some a few of the Discussions were closed.  So that made no sense

dcaparula
Community Participant

Hi S9300807​, this might be a silly question that you've already looked at, but just in case. Is the discussion housed in a module? Occasionally an instructor here brings up a similar issue where everything looks fine date-wise on the discussions page, yet it's dropped in the Closed for Comments section - not realizing that the settings of the module that the discussion is in are causing a conflict.