cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaschult

Linking assignments to outcomes from the administrative level

Jump to solution

Please help me with the following questions regarding OUTCOMES

1. Is it possible to link assignments to outcomes from an administrative level?

1a. Would this then require an administrator to have course level access?

2. Is it possible to hide the outcome rubric from student view?

3. Is there a way to review EXAMPLES of the types of reports that are generated from outcomes?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@gaschult ​, you can create outcomes at the account and sub-account level. Rubrics that are used to evaluate assignments in courses would then need to have those outcomes aligned to them so that an admin could run reports at the account and sub-account levels. For more information on how to generate those reports, have a look at this guide: What Reports are available at the account level? (Have a look at #3, Outcome Results.)

If the goal is to measure students' mastery of outcomes with assignments, then the rubrics cannot be hidden from students' view, since those rubrics will be used to assess the assignments and appear in the instructions for the assignments themselves. Outcomes that are aligned to question banks, however, are not visible to students.

I think you will get more detailed information about the types of information you can obtain at the admin level if this discussion is re-posted in the Admin group. Would you mind if I were to move it over there?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gaschult ​...

I'm not sure that I have all the answers, and I'm not sure that what I'm providing here will be of help, but I'm providing it just in case.  As it relates to this question:

Gail Schultz wrote:

3. Is there a way to review EXAMPLES of the types of reports that are generated from outcomes?

... there is a Canvas Guide available here: Where do I find Outcomes reports for students?  At the bottom of this Guide, there is an example of what a report would look like.

I'm going to defer to other Coaches who have more experience with Outcomes than I do for your other questions.   @kona ​,  @clong ​,  @Robbie_Grant ​, or stefaniesanders​ ... might one of you be able to assist?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@gaschult ​, you can create outcomes at the account and sub-account level. Rubrics that are used to evaluate assignments in courses would then need to have those outcomes aligned to them so that an admin could run reports at the account and sub-account levels. For more information on how to generate those reports, have a look at this guide: What Reports are available at the account level? (Have a look at #3, Outcome Results.)

If the goal is to measure students' mastery of outcomes with assignments, then the rubrics cannot be hidden from students' view, since those rubrics will be used to assess the assignments and appear in the instructions for the assignments themselves. Outcomes that are aligned to question banks, however, are not visible to students.

I think you will get more detailed information about the types of information you can obtain at the admin level if this discussion is re-posted in the Admin group. Would you mind if I were to move it over there?

clong
Community Member

stefaniesanders​ response is right on the money! Couldn't think of anything more to add except a smile Smiley Happy

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your input with these questions. Yes, please do move them to the Admin Group.

Gail

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree totally with stefaniesanders​!

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone reading in the comments, 875017697​ of South Puget Sound did a great presentation on rubrics and outcomes workflow that you can view here: Setting Up Your Outcomes Workflow (Session 9) on Vimeo

John Louvierre of USU also did a wonderful presentation on outcomes reporting from before the semester begins to gathering the data after the term has ended for all classes across the university but I can't find it now.  Kommunity Kudos award to anyone who can find it and who pings me.

@scottdennis ​, I found this video in the old community but couldn't find a Vimeo share link for it: Outcomes Workflow Description (Video) | Canvas Video Guide | Canvas Guides

Is this the one you meant?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Here's the direct link to the video by John Louviere to which  @scottdennis ​ was referring: 811 - Outcomes Workflow Description on Vimeo

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

...and here's the Canvas Guides​ link: Video Link : 1081