Looking for suggestions: Granting extra time in a course for which the term has closed

Jump to solution
naz12
Community Member

Hello,

I have a situation that has been exacerbated by the current state of things. Each time we reach the end of a term we typically have one or two students who need additional time to complete course work due to a medical illness or some other reasonable accommodation request. The pandemic has increased the volume of these requests exponentially.

What I was doing was moving that single student to a new section in the same course and assigning them to a newly created term which would then end on the agreed-upon accommodation date. This works but requires creating individual terms and sections for the student and then using sticky changes (to override our nightly SIS import) to modify the student's course section. The only thing that this was breaking was our grade sync with our SIS because the section key was different the sync was no longer able to see the information.

I'm looking for a better solution; I'd really like if I could go into the course, find the student and extend their enrollment but that isn't possible so I figured I'd post this out there and see if anyone has other ideas that might result in less manual manipulation.

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @naz12 ,

When you edit section dates and enable the override checkbox, the dates for that section override the term dates.  There are a few important considerations when doing this though.  First, the student and teacher should be added to this new section.  Second, the teacher will have to edit the assignment settings, assigning separate due dates for the new section vs the rest of the class.  I think this is where you might have had some difficulty.  You are correct that if the assign to setting is "everyone" then the term dates would still apply.  It's crucial that the new section has a separate assign to box with the new adjusted sue dates (that fall within the extended section dates), and then the everyone else area retains the original due dates.  I think your current process may be inadvertently allowing all students to access the course, resubmit assignments, and probably most importantly might be flooding them with irrelevant notifications about changes not intended for them.  Again, I can provide some sample screenshots illustrating this if it would help you.

-Chris

View solution in original post