Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Roll Call: multi-section & grade?

OK, so I'm hoping somebody's worked out the rules around how Roll Call passes grades into the Gradebook in a multi-section course.
I've got a course containing 2 sections (same students in each - long story). Each section has its own Roll Call attendance record.
What I'd like: ideally, the 'primary' section's Roll Call record would produce the "Roll Call Attendance" Assignment grade in the Canvas Gradebook, while the record from the 'secondary' section would simply exist within the Roll Call UI.
What I get instead...is curious. Below is the behavior I saw testing in beta, condensed for clarity:

1. Context: In COURSE-101, there are 2 sections, SEC-01 and SEC-02. The same students are enrolled in both sections.
  2. I used Roll Call to record attendance, across multiple dates, both for SEC-01 and for SEC-02. In SEC-01, I recorded every student as present, whereas in SEC-02, I recorded every student as absent or tardy.
  3. I alternated as follows: (1) record SEC-01 attendance; (2) view Gradebook and note "Roll Call Attendance" scores; (3) record SEC-02 attendance; (4) view Gradebook and note "Roll Call Attendance" scores. Repeat.
  4. I observed that the Roll Call Attendance score "flipped" to reflect the score based upon the attendance record of the most-recently-recorded section.
  5. I concluded, therefore, that the Assignment is receiving data from both sections' attendance records, and is simply displaying a grade based on the most recent change, regardless of section.

Does anybody have experience with Roll Call in multi-section courses, where more than one section is recording different attendance records - and whether my conclusion above is accurate? Thanks!

Tags (2)
7 Replies
lekern
Community Member

We are seeing the same thing, or something similar. We have our Lecture

sections and our Discussion sections in the same course shell. They meet at

different times. We have not been able to make it work in testing.

Leslie Kern, UC Santa Cruz

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:32 AM, G.Petruzella@mcla.edu <

G_Petruzella
Community Champion

@lekern , thanks for that. I'm glad I'm not alone in seeing the behavior, or in having a use-case for a dual attendance record!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It’s not exactly what you were wanting, but here’s my work around for taking attendance twice a day with the same students - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona 

I wonder if this basic idea could be tweaked to make it work for you...?

rake_9
Community Champion

A colleague of mine had noted this.   @KimberlyHopkins ‌ or putz8ad

snelson6
Community Contributor

We are having this exact issue. Wish that it combines attendance across sections!  @tcrandall ‌

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@G_Petruzella ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Hi  @Robbie_Grant ‌! Thanks for the follow-up. While a couple of the respondents here have suggested workarounds, the core behavior remains, and is problematic for my particular use-case. I wouldn't consider the question "answered" or resolved, and so would like to keep it open, if possible, to see if others might continue to have insight. I haven't responded lately just because other issues have been insistently calling for my attention. :smileygrin: