Did you mean: 
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Top Two Most Important Feature Ideas/Bugs/Issues for Canvas Admins

91 Replies
dianepbh
Community Participant

Peter - I agree... Many teachers.. Many students.. A few admins who support the many. OUr ability to admin with efficiency and pay attention to the details that students and teachers benefit from has to have a higher priority that a voting process that is not going to always show what is critical for admins.

lcahill
Community Member

All but #2 and #7 would be great for me.

• I would cross out #2 because we enroll using SIS imports and refresh twice daily including drop records
  • Would love to convert Word tests to Canvas-compatible tests and use something native to Canvas, but since we have that app and it integrated nicely with Canvas, I cross out #7.
carolann
Community Member

I agree with Catherine -

#8 and #10

millerjm
Community Champion

Hi Linda,

FYI, #2 is not about dropping students - it's about preserving their grades activity for instructors to see.  We update 5x per day but if we drop students, the instructor no longer has access to the records.  If we conclude the enrollment, then instructors cannot see all of the activity/grades - only certain things.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@millerjm ​, instructors can see all grades for concluded students from the gradebook by going to the gear icon and clicking on "Show concluded enrollments. There's also an option from the People tab to "View Prior Enrollments" that provides access to a students "Access Report," but I'm not sure what permissions on the Instructor side need to be enabled for this to be visible. I just checked and while I can see it (I'm an Admin), when I log in as one of my Instructors it was not visible (I'm guessing this has to do with how our permissions are set-up).

Regardless, I'm all for an Inactive roll/status! It would make my life a lot easier because faculty would have easy access to everything about concluded students.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

We can not use the "conclude" ("completed" in the SIS) option (to mark users as inactive) because it still allows the student read-only access to the course content (if the course is still open). Which means "deleted" is our only option and those students do not show in the "View Prior Enrollments" area.

millerjm
Community Champion

@kona ​

Now I remember.  We had to grant the ability to add/remove users in order for faculty to be able to view prior enrollments!  And then use a JS override to take away the button to +People to the class (which sometimes isn't effective and at other times hides the button from admins).

Yet another reason for !

But there is some information that they still can't see when a student is concluded...instructors should be able to see everything.

millerjm
Community Champion

At the admin level, we had to turn off the ability for students to see classes after the term end dates.  It wasn't easy to try to figure out and our Implementation Consultant helped us with this setup. 

However, as I stated below...

We had to grant the ability to add/remove users in order for faculty to be able to view prior enrollments!  And then use a JS override to take away the button to +People to the class (which sometimes isn't effective and at other times hides the button from admins).

reedt
Community Participant

I think Options 1 & 3 are most important. However, I consider Option 6 to be a feature included within Option 3.

farbelaez
Instructure
Instructure

My top 2 features needed are:

1. More granular permissions for admins

3. Advanced Admin Search & Sort

But hopefully all of them will be implemented at some point of time.