Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Completion did not appear in the analytics

Hi everyone,

I found out today that a few of our students completed a course in Catalog and received a certificate of completion but their completion did not appear in the analytics report. I submit a ticket to Canvas on this but I just wanted to see if this happened to anyone else. This is the third time this has happened since January.

Jessica
18 Replies
jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We had to request from support to have our analytics refreshed to fix this issue.

megan_ryland
Community Member

We are also finding that this is a recurring issue for courses in Catalog and that Analytics is often not catching up to what the Student Dashboard reflects re: completion. This is quite confusing for administrators, who are seeing a different result from students. Are we able to self-initiate this "refresh" that you mentioned below?

You will need to contact support and let them know to refresh your instance and provide examples.

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We had this issue for the third time today and this has happened over the past couple of months. I hope there is a fix soon. @zsgoreczky 

zsgoreczky
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @jsowalsk We have been working on fixing this issue. Our goal is to have a permanent solution and not to have even one missing completion event from Catalog. This is one of our top priorities and will keep on being that as long as it's not fixed. I'm sorry for all the inconvenience and confusion this issue has caused. 

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you @zsgoreczky, I appreciate it. It has been really frustrating for our subaccount/catalog admins and for the end-users who are expecting to receive an email and then we need to explain to them to go to the student dashboard to receive their certificate on their own. Also, the subaccount/catalog admins are confused as to why the student's completion information isn't in Catalog for some people but it is for others. When do you expect this issue to be fixed?

zsgoreczky
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @jsowalsk I understand how confusing it is. This issue occurs at a really low percentage of all all completion events and it roots in how Canvas passes the information to Catalog. The Catalog team is working closely with Canvas engineers to have a permanently fix. Unfortunately, the Catalog team got affected by the pandemic, so currently our development speed is slower than usual, but I'm hopeful that we will be able to provide you with a fix in the upcoming weeks. 

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you. It is greatly appreciated, @zsgoreczky. In the meantime, I will send in support tickets for the engineering team and tell the students/admins to go to the student dashboard to get their certificates as a workaround.

laikas
Community Participant

This happens in our instance quite frequently. We can only tell when we go into Canvas and act as the user so we can see what the user sees. However, that makes our data inaccurate.