cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ujones
Community Participant

Extend listing?

We have a Catalog listing that is accessible to users for 365 days from the date of enrollment. 

Has anyone ever extended that date on a listing that has already started? If so, does it automatically update each user's section accordingly? 

Thanks!

9 Replies
jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Do you mean the days to complete? After that date, students will no longer have access to the course. Or do you mean the end date? It depends upon is this just one listing or one program with multiple courses? Do you mind being more descriptive?

ujones
Community Participant

Thanks Jessica. I do mean days to complete. This is just for a single, stand-alone listing. Thank you!

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

For days to complete, it starts on a student's enrollment date -- the date they enroll in the course and then ends in this case 365 days from that date. Student will NOT be able to access the course content after that date. Hope this helps.

ujones
Community Participant

So if I am interpreting you correctly, you're saying you cannot extend the time to access once the course begins?

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I don't understand what you mean by extend time? Do you mean update the end date?

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Also, here is feedback from my Catalog Admin:

Hi Jessica-
Honestly, I'd have to look into it more to be sure. I'm just back from maternity leave this week and am a bit bogged down with catch up. However per our past email exchanges, we were having issues with students remaining in the course space with access after their time to complete had ended. As of an email exchange between you and Brandi on March 5th, that appeared to be fixed. It is my understanding that the course space access issue was corrected per the Catalog Release Notes dated 01/29/2019 and our subsequent testing.
ujones
Community Participant

Yes, that's what I mean. In other words, can you update the listing settings to make it longer than the 365 days initial used when it was created. 

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

You should be able to update the days after the listing has been created but I would ask your CSM for clarification though.

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Here is more information:

It is my understanding that this was fixed - if I recall, we tested it out. I think it all comes down to settings. Since we have day limits in Catalog, we leave the end date under the Course settings in Canvas blank and select both boxes to restrict access before and after start/end dates, so that it defaults to their individual term limits. I would assume that if you don't have these selected, dont have an end date, and don't have a time limit in Canvas, that students would be able to access courses. But we never tested that, as it isn't our need. If Canvas/Catalog goes to make any changes to fix the access for them, please just make sure that they're mindful not to mess up those that do need to restrict access! I hope this helps. Thanks!