Issuing Certificates after the course is completed.

Jump to solution
sbarry2
Community Participant

We are using certificates in a course that lasts one day. When the instructor marks the student as "Present" at the end of the course, through Roll Call, they are issued a certificate. The problem we are encountering is that when the course end date passes (the same as the course start date) the participant no longer has access to the certificate in their Catalog dashboard. So if the participant waits to print/download their certificate until the next day they no longer have access. The course shows as Expired. We want the date in the certificate to be the date they completed the course, so extending the course dates won't work for us.

Am i missing a setting (allow user to access to certificate after course completion, perhaps?) The setting in Canvas "Only allow access to course during the dates is NOT checked.

Thanks, I am sure I am missing an easy step but I can't figure it out.

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Steve,

I apologize that no one has been able to answer your question. The logic for Catalog Certificates is that they will appear for viewing/download as long as the certificate was earned before the course ended (includes both the date and time you set). However, if they finish the course after the end date, they won't have the option to view or download the certificate.

If you are still experiencing trouble with this and can verify that you have students completing courses before the end date but not being able to view the certificate, please file a support ticket so our team can look into it for you.

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post