Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trinaadams
Community Member

course/section expired; view/download certificate expired

For one of our clients, registration is ran through Catalog. Once the participant completes the enrollment process, there is a 365 day limit and then course access expires. Each user shows as an individual section within Canvas with an individual expiration date. It has been my experience that open/close dates assigned to courses/sections for entire rosters within Canvas, will limit the availability of certificate access.

It is my guess when the individual section expires, then the certificate access expires on an individual basis.

Looking for suggestion on how to test this assumption.

In general, what can be done to disconnect certificate access from course or section end dates? Participants appreciate certificates and transcript but are losing information upon expiration.

certificates‌ expire‌ catalog certificate catalog admin

9 Replies
jsowalsk
Advocate

Hi Trina,

The only way to hide the certificate or transcript is by Javascript in the Student Dashboard. I do not know the code but someone could manipulate this and make it happen for you.

Jessica

0 Kudos
carrie
Instructure
Instructure

By default, the certificate issued via Catalog remains available via the Catalog Learner Dashboard via the "Completed" courses tab for the user who completed the course. Course dates in Canvas course settings or course sections do not impact the availability of the certificate in Catalog.

There are some cases where certificate expiration may be needed, for programs whereby end users need to re-certify (e.g. renewing a CPR course certification), but that functionality does not currently exist. 

Hope this helps!

Carrie 

0 Kudos

Sounds like there is a need for two certificate functions. One with extended availability and one with restricted.

Thanks!

Hi Trina,

I wish I had something helpful, but your question actually brought up a question.  "Each user shows as an individual section within Canvas with an individual expiration date." - Can you let me know how this is done?  I only know how to do this manually for each enrolled student, but is there someway to automate it?  That would be so helpful for my organization!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Jill

0 Kudos

Hi Jill,

When you have a moment, please check out the settings on this page. There's a spot labeled "Days to Complete". I believe this is the beginning of the process of assigning individual expiration dates.

How do I add a catalog course listing? 

Good luck!

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
bromanski
Community Participant

This is helpful!  Is there a way to prevent availability to "review the course" when a course is expired?

0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

• I unpublish all the modules at the close of the course.
  • I create a module with only a header. "Course Closed" and publish this module.

For me, this is the least amount of clicks to allow certificates to be available but access to course materials denied. When I have attempted to use the settings and date restrictions within the system, I inadvertently lose certificate access.

trinaadams
Community Member