Getting started in Commons

Jump to solution
rgibson1
Community Champion

So, we turned Commons on in our test environment today. But, every course I see listed isn't really open to view the content. Maybe a sidebar, but not the actual content. It's tantamount to window shopping. Why would we import something we can't even see? And if those items are intended to be shared with specific people, why do they appear in a global catalog? #confused.

1 Solution
cfierro
Community Contributor

Canvas Commons is still a beautiful work in progress.  I appreciate that we can start using it while it is still being built.  It's kind of a 'chicken or the egg' first project.  There needs to be content to use it, but at first there won't be a ton of content yet.  It's up to us as a community to build it. 

64349_pastedImage_0.png

I recommend starting a new course as a sandbox.  Then add content to that sandbox.  To keep things simple, I named my sandbox course Canvas Commons.  There, I can download items and preview them.  Files, videos, and images are already pre-viewable.

In the feature request for this item

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1086#comment-11041

Commons Product Manager Deactivated user​ asks the community which objects we want them to start on next (what to make pre-viewable next). 

64350_pastedImage_2.png

You get share your thoughts.   We can see files, video and images.  I'm guessing assignments would be the next most helpful.

Back to helping building it -

There's a contest!

#Commons1000

View solution in original post