cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a1222679
Community Participant

Filtering for Course Q&A Discussion Forums in Canvas Data

Jump to solution

I’ve been trying to separate the ‘Course Q&A Discussion Forum’ discussions from the others by using DISCUSSION_TOPIC_TITLE in the DISCUSSION_TOPIC_DIM.  This works in the majority of cases but sometimes an instructor will modify the discussion title (e.g. ‘Maths-101 Q&A’ or ‘Course Q & A Discussion Forum’) and these don’t get picked up.

I’m not sure there is a solution to this beyond locking the title so it can’t be changed (not possible).  In the absence of that, does anyone know of a way to get all of these discussions?

Best,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a1222679
Community Participant

Hi Sydney,

I'm using a LIKE %Q&A% query and that will get the majority of them.  Sometimes instructors will change it to Q & A by putting spaces in, so these get missed.  I also scoop up unwanted discussions like 'Assignment 1 Q&A'.  It seems the only way to perfect this would be to lock the titles using the Blueprint course feature.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
smccann
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Daniel,

If they modify the title, do they normally always retain the Q&A? You can do a LIKE %Q&A% query against the title. We do have a Blueprint course feature that can allow you to lock those titles and sync the content to all the appropriate courses. Here is an overview of that.

a1222679
Community Participant

Hi Sydney,

I'm using a LIKE %Q&A% query and that will get the majority of them.  Sometimes instructors will change it to Q & A by putting spaces in, so these get missed.  I also scoop up unwanted discussions like 'Assignment 1 Q&A'.  It seems the only way to perfect this would be to lock the titles using the Blueprint course feature.

0 Kudos