Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graded Assignments Without Submissions?

Often we'll see grades in the gradebook for students - usually assignments, quizzes, or exams - that don' t have submissions because a score was entered manually by the instructor. When I'm querying the submission_dim table to find the student's grade for the specific assignment, I'm coming up with no data. However, since there is a logged grade in the gradebook, I know you have it somewhere! Is that available via Canvas data? A gradebook_fact and gradebook_dim would be SO HELPFUL.

6 Replies
brenden_goetz

Hi Kat - do you know what the values are in the submission_types and grading_types fields for the assignment(s) you're looking at that have a manually entered grade, but no actual submission? I am poking around in Canvas Data to see if I can help, but I don't have any grades that I know were entered manually without a submission - I just know that assignments can have a "submission type" value attached to them that could maybe help us investigate.

Also, if you can access the Canvas API, the Grade Change Log might provide some insight.

Thanks  @brenden_goetz  . These specific assignments have null submission type values. A gradebook data file would be SO HELPFUL.

I'd also like to know how each assignment is weighted in the course.

brenden_goetz

Hey Kat - 

The recent Canvas Data Release Notes made me think of this thread... There were some changes in Canvas as to where scores are being scored (on the backend), and the Canvas Data schema has been updated accordingly. So there is now a set of Score and Grading Period tables. I haven't made time to see if/how manually entered grades show up, but wanted to post quickly about it in case it helps the cause. The description of scores_dim in the schema docs says "You can think of a score as synonymous with a cell inside the gradebook," so maybe there is hope?

Cheers!

Thanks  @brenden_goetz ‌, I'll check it out!

The Assignment Group Fact carries the weight for each group towards the overall course grade: Canvas Data Portal