cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How can you differentiate an automatic enrollment from our SIS vs. a manual student enrollment in Canvas?

Jump to solution

In the enrollment_dim table, I can't tell how to differentiate students who were automatically enrolled in Canvas course sites versus those who an instructor manually added. Is there a variable in the enrollment_fact or dim table (or elsewhere) that can help with this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Glen is correct, you would want to see if the sis_source_id column in the enrollment_dim is null, or filled in. Although in the documentation it mentions that the field is deprecated, I have seen that it is still being used and updated.

I would warn though that if an enrollment was added manually to a course and then later was placed in the SIS and updated via SIS, there will only be one record for that enrollment that would show the sis_source_id column filled. It will not have two records for the enrollment.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

In Canvas Data, enrollment_dim has a sis_source_id field, so if you populated that field for automatic enrollments, you could use that to differentiate. We look at sis_user_id in pseudonym_dim for a similar reason, but that's only to see if the user was created manually.

When looking at the response to an API call like https://yourschool.instructure.com/api/v1/users/91/enrollments, you might see a field named sis_upload_id. For us, we upload data every morning and that upload ID provides a reference to which upload process created the enrollment. I believe checking whether that field has a value would answer your question. That field is present in the API, but not in Canvas Data, however.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Glen is correct, you would want to see if the sis_source_id column in the enrollment_dim is null, or filled in. Although in the documentation it mentions that the field is deprecated, I have seen that it is still being used and updated.

I would warn though that if an enrollment was added manually to a course and then later was placed in the SIS and updated via SIS, there will only be one record for that enrollment that would show the sis_source_id column filled. It will not have two records for the enrollment.

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors