cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melewis
Not applicable

Mobile user login count

I'm trying to calculate the average number of times a student logs into Canvas, on an iPad, by program and term. I've been searching Canvas Data that's imported in our data warehouse to see if this exists.

In pseudonym_dim you have last_login_at, current_login_at. In pseudonym_fact you have login_count with the total login count per user. I can't find this information at the grain of individual login instances which should allow you to aggregate them by program and device. Does anyone know if this information is currently being tracked in Canvas Data?

2 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi  @melewis ,

Few things here.

Unfortunately with mobile Canvas app once you're logged into Canvas you're logged in and are not forced to log in each time you open the app to access Canvas like you can be made to do when accessing Canvas via the web. 

You can however use the requests table‌ and look at the user_agent column to be able to see how/when and what students are viewing using the Canvas mobile app. 

307748_pastedImage_1.png

Hope this helps. 

Thanks  @bneporadny !

What about the web user logins? I see in the "requests" table that the column "url" has entries of '/?login_success=1'. Is this the only "requests" row that indicates a login?

And I do see a few of these rows have a user agent for iPads such as "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 12_1_1 like Mac OS X)...". Am I right to assume these rows would be for iPad browsers instead of the Canvas app?