Question about Canvas Data CLI implementation

Jump to solution
kdoherty
Community Member

Hello data team.  We plan to implement Canvas Data CLI on an Enterprise Linux V6 server.  Our systems people have a couple of questions that I did not find answer to on the community site.  I hope you can help.    (

1) Node.js:  CLI documentation says "any version newer than 0.12.0 should work".  Node.js appears to have several version branches with different numbering systems (0.10 0.12, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x). Should we install the latest release within the 0.12 branch?  Or should we install some other version branch with a higher number? 

(2) Can we use Canvas Data CLI through a proxy server?  Our servers are not allowed to directly access the internet. 

We appreciate any guidance that you can provide.  Thanks.

1 Solution
ccoan
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Kevin,

I'd be happy to answer your questions.

1. We recommend using anything above the 0.12 branch. Although it should work with anything newer than 0.12 we do our automated testing on 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x. (We may eventually even bump up to 6.x requirement once it becomes more widely used, and easier to get). So any 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x version is what we highly recommend.

2. The CLI doesn't have proxy functionality built in. For now our current solutions have been two fold.

A. Download on a separate box, and then transfer.
      B. Use a transparent proxy setup (such as Squid on linux).

I'll bring this up with the CLI team though, and make sure we have a conversation on the proxy functionality.

View solution in original post