Copying peer reviewing assignments

maguire
Community Champion

When faced with having to assign peer reviewing for multiple assignments, I realized that I needed a tool to copy peer reviewing assignments from one assignment to another. Then in a course with multiple assignments and multiple instructors (not all of whom were synchronized in making their peer reviewing assignment), I modified this program to allow the copying on a section basis (i.e., one can specify that only the peer reviewing assignment for a user in a given section is to be copied).

The results and the programs to do the above are at Copying peer reviewing assignments: Chip sandbox 

5 Comments
MAbalos
Community Member

Hello @maguire, Thank you for this post. Since this script was posted in 2018, is there now a Canvas UI functionality that does this?  I tried duplicating the assignment, but it did not copy the Peer Review student pairs that I manually added. Could you provide basic setup instructions on how to run scripts in Canvas?

maguire
Community Champion

See the program copy-peer-reviewer-assignments.py available from https://github.com/gqmaguirejr/Canvas-tools - I just used it a few days ago.

The other program that is very useful is assign-random-peer-reviewer-by-section.py - which, as the name says, randomizes the peer-reviewing assignments within a section in a course - so it recognizes both sections and groups (so members of a group are never assigned to review someone else in the group). I also just used this a few days ago. This is also available from the same github.

Both programs take as arguments the Canvas course_id and the assignment_id as arguments.

Both programs also assume that you have a config.json file in the directory where you have the program and in which you have the name of the Canvas instance and your access token. See the page https://canvas.kth.se/courses/11/pages/making-a-config-dot-json-file-to-make-life-simpler

MAbalos
Community Member

Thank you for the quick response and for these instructions!

maguire
Community Champion

If you look at the URL when you are at an assignment, the two arguments you need can be taken from the last three values in the URL, i.e., the course_id is followed by "/assignment/" and then is the assignment_id.

MAbalos
Community Member

Copied successfully!  Thank you @maguire !!!