Allow Speedgrader access for Teachers in a concluded course

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Currently, it is not possible for teachers of a course to view Speedgrader feedback for any assignments after a course has been concluded.  This is what teachers see if they try to view the Speedgrader entry for an assignment.

176508_pastedImage_0.png176508_pastedImage_0.png

We would prefer that our faculty have autonomy in accessing Speedgrader feedback for a concluded course, rather than relying on academic support staff to temporarily un-conclude a course.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)

22 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@david_house , it's funny that you should mention this, because just this morning I had occasion to have to access SpeedGrader for an assignment in a concluded course. Teachers can still access the SpeedGrader through the Gradebook column for that assignment, even though the SpeedGrader doesn't appear on the actual assignment page. Of course, all of the grades and comments in the SpeedGrader are read-only, but it's all there and readily accessible.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@david_house ​ were you able to find the comments you needed per Stefanie's description above?

david_house
Community Novice

Hmm.  How odd.  When I view one of our test courses from a teacher role, I am not able to access the Speedgrader from the Gradebook.  This is what happens when I mouse over a specific assignment:

176980_pastedImage_0.png

There is no black tab on the top-right corner, and the box cannot be clicked.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@david_house ​, from your screenshot, it looks like you're clicking in a specific cell. The dropdown you need is in the column header.

I took this screenshot in a gradebook for a concluded course. As you would expect, the data is read-only.

SpeedGrader-access-from-gradebook-in-concluded-course.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@david_house ​

Was Stefanie's screenshot helpful?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

179498_pastedImage_2.pngWhere'd you go? We haven't heard from you in 2 weeks?

For now, this idea will be archived due to no response. If you would like this idea to be reconsidered, please provide the feedback requested along with examples and use cases. Then be sure to @mention me or anyone on the communityteam (by typing '@' symbol plus a name to notify one of us) and we would be happy to bring it back into the feature process rotation!

mcarrick
Community Novice

hi  @Renee_Carney ,

I'm seeing this too. I see the drop-down as per Stefanie's screenshot, but when I select SpeedGrader I get the following error: "Sorry, there are either no active students in the course or none are gradable by you."

Guided Inquiry 1_ UDHR, SpeedGrader, 10 Civics History AFI 2015 2016-04-19 22-19-07.png

Even when I un-conclude the course it leaves the enrolments concluded... I can see the grades, rubrics, etc in the Gradebook by selecting 'show concluded enrollments', but this error still appears - even if I click the SpeedGrader link on the grade detail.

(NB. we're concluding via the Courses API).

Should I just log a ticket?

Thanks,

Myles C.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @mcarrick ​

You do not need to submit a support ticket!  We did a little digging and found your situation to be unique.  You are using terms to conclude your courses, yet you are also using the API to conclude the course.  You do not need to do both.  In-fact, using the API to manually conclude the course is what is preventing a teacher from viewing the SpeedGrader following course conclusion.

Does that help?

morris_admin
Community Contributor

@Renee_Carney ​ I just stumbled open this feature because I am supporting a faculty member that needs to access grade information for old terms for accreditation purposes. She needs to see the rubrics and grade information and can't do that. I had to re-open the course for her and others in the program which is less than ideal. If this feature were to be re-opened, I'd vote for it! Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Jessica.  I don't think this idea would solve the issue you are facing.  This idea is focused on SpeedGrader.

The information your instructor is seeking is available to them as long as the course has not been manually concluded.  If you are using terms to conclude courses, instructors can access grading information beyond the actual term.  If you are using the API (or manually) concluding courses (like described in a comment above), it will lock instructors out of the course grade information.