Allow wrap-around text for content items in a module

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Dear Canvas

Recently you updated the number of characters visible in the module main page.  Now all of my assignments are truncated and end with ....

Why would you do this?

Does this look informative to students?  Why is there so much white open and available space between my assignment name and the number of points it's worth?

http://puu.sh/ipNcq.png

Now, I heard it was to make things easier to read on phones and tablets.  Except it's not. Here's my tablet.  This is awesome.  Totally - I like being able to see 10 letters of an assignment.  And since you can't hover on a tablet, why have you done this?

I would like to know who, in their right mind, looked at this and said, yeah.... that looks great!

http://puu.sh/ipNmy.png

I would like to vote on increasing the display size of assignment names in the modules.  Whatever it was before was even too small.  So I don't know if this is a vote on increasing the allowable text letters, or if it increases the width of the pixels used in that category.  No, I don't use the app for Canvas because I don't like how it's set up or organized.  It looks entirely different than the web based version, nothing is indented and so on, so that's not a reasonable alternative request Canvas.

Thanks

April

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

89 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

michael9
Community Novice

I'm not seeing this on my modules page -- does something need to be turned on by our admins to make this happen?

orwinr
Community Champion

@michael9 ​ this looks like it won't be available until the release next weekend. I believe  @Renee_Carney ​ was just letting us know that it has been released from beta and will arrive with the next production release.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @amixon  for submitting this idea, as well as, kent​, 700958421​,  @Chris_Hofer ​,  @Adam_King ​, stefaniesanders​,  @BKINNEY ​, snufer​, lcoburn001​, jmccarth​,  @ProfessorBeyrer ​, nphillips​, jenniferpassman​,  @judyk ​, charms​,  @Jeff_F ​, pkittle​, r.j.elliott​,  @sadenniston ​, timallen​, orwinr​, martyn.nash​,  @boodym ​,  @kona ​,  @sherie_crosby ​,  @govreacl ​,  @GideonWilliams ​,  @don_bryn ​, khirschmann​,  @sullivanch ​,  @rogersm ​, & Deactivated user​  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Hi Renee and Others who had an interest in this feature.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to insert a hidden character for a line break or paragraph to force a line wrap within a text header in the Modules area? #line_break

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @ronmarx ‌,

At this point in time I don't believe you can insert line breaks in a text header. I have tried every way possible that I can think of and nothing seems to work. HTML tags are just rendered as regular text. I tried hard returns and soft returns and they just save your work and return you to the module. If you believe it is a strong enough case, feel free to submit a new idea at: Canvas Studio. Use the drop down actions arrow and click on the Idea link or scroll down a bit and click on the "Share New Idea" button

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed