Annotate Image Files in Teacher App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a tablet user, the Teacher app is a great way to quickly go back and forth with student assignments. Currently, the app does not support annotations on image files like jpegs. For math/science/art teachers, it would be great for students to be able to work problems out on paper, use their Student app to upload a quick image, and get written feedback without turning in a huge pile of papers/projects to their teacher. As a teacher, it would be amazing to not have to carry around huge stacks of papers to grade everywhere, and have them all in my Teacher app ready to go. I know that I can annotate images on a computer, but it's so much easier with a stylus on my tablet than drawing with a mouse or typing. 

I also know that annotations can be done on the Teacher app with doc files and PDFs, but I don't want my students to have to change every image into a PDF before they turn it in. Unless the Student app is going to do that for them, that is.

Canvas has so many great qualities! Let's open up ONE MORE avenue for the paperless classroom to be hassle-free.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the

10 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I believe this idea is related and in response to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8503-ability-to-write-on-image-files-in-speedgrader" modifiedt...?  Is that correct?

rcordeiro1
Community Participant

It's related, but I'm specifically wanting to write in speedgrader in the Teacher app on image files. I can write on image files in speedgrader on the computer, and I can write on PDFs and docs in the Teacher app. I want to be able to write on images in the Teacher app, please.

Sincerely,

Rebekah Cordeiro

Adjunct Instructor, Chemistry

Pasadena City College

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

That's what I thought and I just wanted to confirm! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

rcordeiro -

Thank you for taking the time to write up this feature idea! Since we adopted Canvas in the fall of 2014, I have required my visual arts students to submit .pdfs of their work so I could annotate on their work. With the announcement in Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-02), I was thrilled! I thought that I would be able to move to .jpgs (and simplify some submission things for my students), but the feature didn't include Canvas Teacher.

For now, I'm going to continue asking my students to use a scanning app to submit images of their work or "save as" a .pdf from their editing software on the desktop. However, I feel optimistic about this feature. I hope it'll eventually find a second home in Canvas Teacher some day. Smiley Happy

I'm going to also mention the Canvas Mobile Users Group‌ in the hopes that other mobile enthusiasts will vote and add some comments.

rseilham
Community Champion

rcordeiro‌, 

This feature is now available in Canvas Teacher 1.7 for iOS. I have not seen an update for Android yet. 

293602_pastedImage_1.jpg

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.7) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

rcordeiro Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @KristinL  Thank You,    @rseilham  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

And the most recent release Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.7) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed