Announcements page as course home page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As an instructor, I want to set the Announcements page in my course as the course home page. Students would see this page first whenever they access the course. Canvas allows a variety of other pages in a course to be set as the home page (activity stream, syllabus, a page I create); why not the Announcements page?

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: C. David Frankel
Thank you especially for contributions by: Mick Cunningham, Josh Blumberg

Comments from instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

42 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings all!

There is a new feature that will allow the display of recent announcements on a "Home" (content) page.
For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-12-19)

Discuss this new feature, and others, in the Beta Release (2016-12-19) Collaborative Chat

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I would be curious to know your opinions on whether this meets the needs of those that commented and voted, or if there is still a need to only view the announcements page as a home page!

wakimsu
Community Participant

This is a good start.  The announcements are front and center but it looks like it still takes a click for students to read the announcement. What I would prefer is the most recent announcement itself to be the home page, but that doesn't seem to be how this works (?).  In reading other comments in this topic, I think this meets a lot of people's need.  One step at a time and this is a good one.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07) have been published, and the announcement feature will be available soon!

Community Novice

Thank you for implementing this feature! It would be great to have it available on the Syllabus page as well. At the moment, you have to select "custom home page" to enable it but many of our courses use the Syllabus page as their home page. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@SethBattis  Thank You ,  @mlattke  Thank You ,  @sgriffith  Thank You, 40926127 Thank You,  @christine_mckeo  Thank You,  @ccalderon  Thank You,  @hvaughn  Thank You,  @bschneider  Thank You,  @kona  Thank You,  @vallathn  Thank You,  @wanda  Thank You, cnaraya2 Thank You,  @nskapura  Thank You,  @RobDitto  Thank You,  @dhulsey  Thank You,  @zisaakov  Thank You,  @wakimsu  Thank You, & 30639324 Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

ccalderon
Community Champion

Yay! So happy to see this is coming - thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme