[Assignments] Automatic Grading

As an instructor, I have students post discussion questions and responses each week. If they posted something, they get the points. However, there is no way to automatically grade these-- I have to manually grade each post... Please consider making an automatic grading system, so that the points show up in their gradebook as soon as they have posted. You will make a lot of instructors very happy... we rely on this type of assignment. 

Thanks!  

46 Comments
kocherm18
Community Novice

Finding out that Canvas lacked this essential feature was a real blow to those of us who teach/design classes for 4,000 students. I'm surprised this feature isn't available and even more surprised that it isn't getting voted. 

Wouldn't it be great for your introduction posts to just give students credit and not have to assess them? Typing in a grade for 4,000 students take a fair amount of mind-numbing work. 

psf16
Community Novice

Thanks for the vote, Michael! I did make it kind of work eventually by selecting the "select default grade" option in the grade book for that assignment. You just have to go back and edit the grade for those who did not post, as it auto assigned to everyone, but maybe it's at least a bit better than editing for each person who posted. But yes, would definitely need to be changed-- seems like such a simple change to make. 

kocherm18
Community Novice

That works for a synchronous class, but for a class of 4,000 where several students will all start and finish at different times, it becomes a nightmare to grade. This was a basic feature of Blackboard. It's really unfortunate that they didn't add that extra checkbox.

cindywilson3
Community Member

I agree this is a must-have! I don't like making everyone default to the completed grade,  because then the questions from parents and students start rolling in about how I can take away a grade like that. It's more work to calm them down than it's worth. The default grade needs to apply to those who make a submission - not everyone. I can not think of a situation where I would use it for the whole group. So it seems like it is not so much an oversight but a fault in the programming.

Michellek
Community Explorer

Applying an automatic grade for a submission - in a discussion or for an incomplete/complete assignment would be very beneficial!

russ_ziegler
Community Member

I completely agree, and hope that Canvas will make this available in the future. 

leslie_irvine
Community Participant

I agree, too. I'm really frustrated by the lack of auto-grading options in Canvas. 

jenaisa
Community Novice

I agree! It is crazy that Canvas doesn't have this. I though it did and now I have all this extra grading. Erg!

mrwnphs2
Community Participant

Yes, it would be nice to have an autograde for participation for discussions and for text entries.

Bonne-Maman3
Community Member

Please!!!