[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
ababij
Community Participant

I would like to see this option. I had a student accidentally submit personal information attached to their assignment submission, and would like to either be able to delete it myself or allow them to delete it.

ETA: confidential personal information related to themselves and other people, not the kinds of things I would normally have access to

ThomasTutt
Community Novice

It is simply astounding that this feature has not yet been implemented in Canvas. It is absolutely imperative. Please add this function as soon as possible.

Judie_K
Community Member

Students submit to the wrong assignment all the time, and I'd love to be able to move their submission to the right assignment, rather than giving them a 0 and telling them to resubmit to the right assignment.  This is definitely needed.

LeisaRobson
Community Explorer

Had this happen to one of our students this cohort and last cohort.  It would be good to have admin functionality to amend legitimate incorrect submission uploads.

marafinom
Community Explorer

@Judie_K It is especially important for institutions new to Canvas. People are going to make mistakes when using a new system.

marafinom
Community Explorer

Here is another forum discussing a similar issue, which was initiated in 2020. Either one of these developments would be a net positive; I either want to be able to be able to grant another attempt without deleting the first submission, or I want to be able to delete the first submission to reopen the attempt. The former is preferred, but realistically either option would suffice.

vdewitt
Community Member

Yes this is a huge problem with this fact! It happened to me recently, so you say it will not be able to bring my grade back up if she submits my new grade? I went from a solid A to a C in a matter of one 0 score from uploading the blank form. It is going to drop my gpa now with midterms here and this is from 2011!!!!!!!!!!! im doomed!!!!!

actrevin
Community Novice

Hi!  I see that this issue was requested from a long time ago!  Please add the feature to allow students to self-move misplaced assignment... If student submit an assignment there are implications if we decide to change individual-team instructions of the other assignments.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

The platform will not register my 5-star vote so i'll leave my vote here. Currently, if a student submits the wrong assignment in the wrong slot, we have to contact the student either via the inbox or assignment comment, then the student has to submit the correct assignment as well as the original submission to the correct slot. Consequently, the wrong submission is still retained.

This functionality is much needed!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme