[Calendar] Account Calendars - Automatically Add to Students Setting

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Problem statement:

Whilst the new Account Calendar feature has a number of promising applications, it currently relies on all members of an account adding the calendar for any events in the Account Calendar to be visible to them. As a teacher and Middle Leader at a P-12 Distance Education school, it is unlikely that even with direct communication and instruction, all students would actually add the calendar. This would result in only a portion of students knowing about events specific to their sub-account (Year Level), making the feature unusable in our circumstance. We would like to use the Account Calendar feature to create calendar events specific to each year level. We currently only have a combined communications course set up for each sector (Primary, Middle, Senior). However, we do have sections within these for each year level and year level sub-accounts based on the courses students are enrolled in. The Account Calendar feature, if we could ensure events were automatically visible to all students in the sub-account, would be ideal.

Proposed solution:

- Add to the settings available when enabling Account Calendars. E.g. - Automatically add Account Calendar for 'User Role' - Give admin the option when enabling Account Calendar to send a global notification or 'accept' prompt similar to course enrolment that appears on students' dashboard. This would eliminate the reliance of teachers/admin on the members/students in a sub-account manually adding the new calendar.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

Added to Theme

8 Comments
canvas_admin
Community Champion

I wholeheartedly agree! I've already heard from one of our campus presidents that not many students will adopt this if the onus is put on them to add the calendar, and we are a higher ed institution.

Our institution would like the Canvas calendar to be a one stop where a student can see all important course and campus dates. They will miss that if it is up to them to add it.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

Yes. And, add a multi-day event feature.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I agree. The default option should be ON if we are using this feature.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

This idea is currently In Development. Please subscribe to this thread for updates!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the

Canvas Release Notes (2023-07-15) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-07-15)