[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
SusanL
Community Novice

At the moment, you can only add things to the calendar to one 'course'.  Sometimes an event will be relevant to multiple courses,  Please can you make it possible to select all of the relevant courses rather than having to add multiple events for the same thing.

frances_tee
Community Member

I would like the ability to do this as well - its redundant to repeat the event across multiple course. 

dokkesl
Community Member

This suggestion has been open for 5 years now. Canvas is being utilized by more and more K-12 institutions and the ability to post assignment reminders or other events that are the same to multiple sections of the same course is needed. College students may be able to understand that a due date 2 weeks away means that you have to start your work ahead of time. K-12 students, and their parents, do not have this foresight. Reminders that can easily be shared between courses will increase efficiencies, mitigate stress, and encourage better planning for our students.

dokkesl
Community Member

The workaround that I have figured out works if you have Blueprinted your classes. 

In the blueprint do the following:

1. Create a page with a title like - GOV (REMINDER) 5.4 Assignment OPENS Today Due by 11/2. In this example, I could "open" the assignment on 10/26.
  2. Click Edit and click on the Add to student to-do button and select the date you want this reminder to show up in the Calendar (10/26) - NOT the due date of the assignment (11/2). The original assignment is already on the Calendar for its due date.
    1. Optional: You can add directions, documents, rubrics, etc... to this page if you want
    2. Optional: You can add this page to your Module if you want. If you think this will make the module too crowded with information, then you can just leave it as a page. The calendar event will still show up even if the page is not in a Module.
  3. Sync your blueprint and the GOV (REMINDER) will show up on all associated calendars on the date you selected in the Add to student to-do calendar.

Hope this helps a little bit

1.  Add to student to-do
  2.  Add to student to-do
mapangallo
Community Novice

It would be very useful to be able to list an event on multiple courses' calendars without having to enter it manually on each one. For example, because my office hours are at the same time for all my classes, I would like to be able to just set them up once on the calendar rather than individually for each class I teach.

PBart0
Community Explorer

In the calendar, it is currently necessary to post a shared event to each course individually.  It would be better to be able to choose to post a given event to more than one course.

ShannonLopez
Community Novice

I need this feature! With students going to be in and out of quarantine, I need to post an agenda into calendar.  Teaching several sections of each class means I will be copy-pasting into each class separately.  How has this not been added as a feature yet?  Canvas has a lot of potential, but it's the mindless clicking and duplicating tasks that is taking way too long.  

ANDREWBUSATH
Community Novice

I am very surprised this feature has not been added yet.  It has been 7 years and is still not an option.  I teach a service learning class and it would be extremely helpful instead of having to retype the events 7 times.  

Is it that difficult of a process to add this feature?

AndreMelashenko
Community Member
Problem statement:

The problem to solve is that teachers currently have to manually duplicate the same calendar entries into multiple calendars. The use-case: - In our Canvas LMS, teachers share internal calendar(s) to ensure students only have one assessment per day (i.e a grade 7 assessment calendar) - Currently, they create a bookable slot in the assessment calendar - They then create the Canvas assignment/assessment/quiz for the students (have to enter the same event in two calendars)

Proposed solution:

A togglable option to post a calendar event to multiple calendars during creation.

User role(s):

instructor,student

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme