[Calendar] Make Event Default Time 11:59pm rather than 12:00am

Right now.....

• An event on the calendar has a default time of 12am on the date of the event.
  • An assignment has a default time of 11:59pm on the date the assignment is due.

This causes an inconsistent user experience when viewing Coming Up in the side bar.

If an assignment is due on May 8th it will show as Coming Up in the side bar until 11:59pm on May 8th.

If an event occurs on May 8th it will not show as Coming Up in the side bar after 12:00 am on May 8th.

Therefore, if a student logs in to Canvas the morning of May 8th, Coming Up in the side bar will list the Assignment due today but the Event occurring today will not be displayed.

30 Comments
tamara_molina
Community Novice

Better yet- make it 8:00pm.  High school students should not be encouraged, by default, to procrastinate to turn something it at 12:00am, or even 11:59pm.  I find it very annoying that I have to spend the time togo in and change this default for every assignment.  At the very least, allow schools to dictate this default. 

tamara_molina
Community Novice

I voted it down because 11:59 encourages late-night procrastination.  My high school students should be asleep by then.  16 year-olds need sleep.  The default should be no later than 9:00pm.

don_bryn
Community Champion

I think (I might be mistaken) that the original intent of this idea was to make the due date at the END of the day instead of at the beginning.  A due time of 12:00am is effectively a due date of the previous day.  A setting course-wide would make this more efficient and work for everyone.

jlcrow
Community Member

Yes, perhaps something in the settings where the instructor could set the default time. 

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

Me too! Or even set the deafult time at account level.

dgray54
Community Novice

As previously mentioned, it would be ideal to be able to set the default time for all events/assignments at the course, or -- at the very least -- the user level.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

Why does it take 3 years for something so easily coded to be implemented.

Seriously this is probably changing 1 line of code I do not see why this would even be open for voted. It should just be done.

fisher1
Community Contributor
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme