Canvas Mobile App: Next and Previous Module Item Buttons

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Add the next and previous navigation buttons to each item in module tool on Canvas by Instructure for iOS and Android. This will allow the user navigate through a module without having to go back to the module list.

Comments from Instructure

Find more information in the Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.13)

23 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

I agree that this doesn't have to be a button, but an easy way to navigate and I'll be happy!

rseilham
Community Champion

It appears that this idea is the only one with a slim chance to get to 100 votes. If you like it, please vote, and pass the word! It's really important to the usability of the Canvas app.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We've heard this feedback from several sources. The next and previous buttons have been re-added to Canvas for Android, with iOS development to come soon.

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

Looking forward to the iOS development of the next and previous buttons!

kroeninm
Community Champion

Wow, I'm so excited about this!!!  I test using the app a little each week but avoid it as the back and forth is so inefficient compared to Google News or something Smiley Happy 

- Melanie

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Find more information in the Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.13)

kona
Community Champion

Yay!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @jazemlya  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kroeninm ​, morris_admin​,  @nicholina_wilso ​, jrd​, corbet_wilson​,  @kona  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

ptart
Community Participant

If you create a link on your home page to a page (or other item) in a module, the Canvas App takes the user directly to the "page" (or other item). The previous/next links are not available.

If you create a link on your home page to the module, the Canvas App takes the user to the module page listing the items in the module. Clicking on an item will take them there and will provide the needed Previous/Next links.

This doesn't have to to be the home page, but it's typical for links in the Canvas App. 😞

rseilham
Community Champion

Hi  @ptart ‌, 

You are correct about this behavior. I suggest you check out the following idea as it relates to your post: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8595-app-navigation-should-follow-computer-nav