Completely Anonymous Grading, Persistently Blind Grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We would like to have the ability to have graders use Speedgrader and the grade book without seeing who the students are. The  teacher of record would be able to see this but we would like the ability to be flexible in either allowing graders to see student names or not.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

42 Comments
dulaney
Community Novice

I would like the ability to add my own text field in the Grade book. I would use it to enter codes for students.  Although I can hide student names while grading, I eventually learn who is first/last on the roster, therefore anonymity while grading does not last.  I'm sure there are uses others would have for being able to add a field in the grade (and be able to sort)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dulaney , you can add a Notes column to the Gradebook--How do I use the Notes column in the Gradebook?  . Would that work for you?

kathy_scott
Community Novice

Anonymous grading at the double blind level is essential for UK Canvas users so it would be good to be kept up to date with progress on this Deactivated user. I would be interested in joining your group about anonymous grading too, please. For UK users it is essential that there is robust functionality in place to uphold fully anonymous grading, where student names are permanently hidden from markers and independent grades/feedback are kept hidden from other markers.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02) 

james_trueman
Community Contributor

The current release of the anonymous grading feature is a big improvement but does not seem to be 'completely anonymous' as requested in this and through the consultation on the project?  I've put a comment in the AMG release notes page - do you want me to add that here too?

Many thanks

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, James,

This is the first release of anonymous grading, and some additional features will still be coming. I'd recommend sticking with Priority: Anonymous & Moderated Marking‌ as we're making available updates there as they are available. If after that time you are still finding that some features are lacking, we'll most likely recommend a new feature idea just to keep ideas more granular.

Thanks for your feedback!

Erin

james_trueman
Community Contributor

Thanks, Erin,

I'm aware that there is an iterative release cycle for this - but understood that this first release was specifically focussed on "True Student Anonymity...  - there will be no way to reverse engineer the identity of the student from the submissions via downloaded assignments, student submission page, gradebook, etc."?  Consequently, I'm surprised that there is such a hole in that primary objective? 

have already raised this issue with Sidharth Oberoi. (via the UK HEI User Group)  His response was that it was '...not optimized for cases with a single student.'. But as I have pointed out in my comment, there are many instances where a single student may be assigned to a differentiated due date (and managed either via sections or a new assignment).  I'm sure this is true outside of the UK sector.

I hope that this issue is taken on board and a resolution implemented during one of the later AMG release points.  However, releases 3-5 were supposed to be focussing on other issues - e.g. sample moderation, Speedgrader UI and docviewer integration etc. (we're told that release 2 occurred concurrently with release 1). It also seems a fundamental issue that is embedded in the primary design principle? (i.e. Student Names = visible), so I'm not sure how you'll get around this?

Best wishes 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@healyeb  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen  Thank You , tita Thank You ,  @DanBurgess  Thank You ,  @tbunag  Thank You ,  @jolaine  Thank You ,  @garth  Thank You , jennifer_stevens Thank You ,  @ejp10  Thank You ,  @dulaney , &  @kathy_scott  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

garth
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ‌ thank you : )