Copy an Assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

65940_Assignment.pngAssignment.png

A good instructional design practice is to have a predictable module structure for students to follow throughout a course. Assignments often have consistent options and text (ie: honor code statements) throughout a course.

Currently copying requires creating a new assignment, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” option to the options gear, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a course structure.

Please help to flesh out this idea by discussing your particular use case in the comments.

Edit: taking quizzes out of this request -- please vote and comment at Duplicate Quizzes

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

65 Comments
mabrams
Community Explorer

Thanks, Stefanie for the explanation. The links in the email worked, but they took me to pages that seemed to have little information. I tried clicking on things on those pages I thought would lead to more info, without success. Must have missed the right links.

Thanks-

Marshall

Marshall Abrams, Associate Professor

Department of Philosophy, University of Alabama at Birmingham

http://http://members.logical.net/~marshall

Email: mabrams@uab.edu<mailto:mabrams@uab.edu>; Phone: (205) 996-7483; Fax: (205) 975-6610

Mail: HB 414A, 900 13th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294-1260; Office: HB 418

laura_cometa
Community Novice

Please make a way to easily copy an assignment so that we can just change the title and save it as a new one. For example, if we have a weekly quiz or journal entry, the only way to copy it right now is to load it on Commons, wait at least 30 minutes, then import it and edit it. It's not convenient. Thank you.

kobrien3
Community Novice

Jason,

Enjoyed you Canvas Live stream CanvasCon SMU: Sweaty Palms Is Not a Resort 

Hope to participate in this Quizzes.Next Beta Phase II

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext/pages/home 

In your live stream CanvasCon SMU: Sweaty Palms Is Not a Resort - YouTube 

(at minute 4) you stress frequency matters - and the importance of frequency of assessment... which I find interesting since we are still hoping for a simple and easy way to copy assignments and duplicate quizzes:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1075-duplicate-quizzes?commentID=41590#comment-41590 

In general, I like to say to colleagues that Canvas is a time saver that is worth the time investment; however, when it comes to creating assignments and quizzes...and reproducing these assessments...I cannot say that is true.

Please help. Let's make this a higher priority - vote this up!

Best,

Kevin

swinter
Community Champion

I need this too. I have to build 26 of the same assignment with some minor changes in title only. Duplicating would have this done in ten minutes. Now it will take me at least 20.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you for supporting  @laura_cometa ‌'s suggestion to be able to replicate and modify multiple Canvas objects—in this case, assignments—but pages, modules, rubric criteria, and quiz questions too. Similar ideas have been floating around for some time: Selecting Multiple Content Items in Modules

Multiple Selections and Bulk Manipulation

And, we all want to see Canvas become as powerful an instructional content editing engine for teachers/designers, as it is a learning content engine for students!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you for supporting Laura Cometa's suggestion to be able to replicate and modify multiple Canvas objects—in this case, assignments—but pages, modules, rubric criteria, and quiz questions too. Similar ideas have been floating around for some time: Selecting Multiple Content Items in Modules

Multiple Selections and Bulk Manipulation

And, we all want to see Canvas become as powerful an instructional content editing engine for teachers/designers, as it is a learning content engine for students!

mark_goldner
Community Member

Please add this feature. This is a high priority for teachers who want to actively collaborate with each other. 

kona
Community Champion

@mark_goldner , this feature idea is more for copying within a course. If you've got faculty who want to share assignments there are better ways to do that for example, shared sandbox course. For this the teachers are all added to a "sandbox" course as "teachers" and then they copy over the content from their courses they want to share into the sandbox course. This then allows any of the teachers to copy any of the content over into their own courses. Another way to do this is via Canvas Commons - where faculty can upload assignments and/or course content to Commons and then other Instructors can download it into their own courses.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-07-05) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15)