[Courses] Make the course list sortable

When you click on Courses and then All Course, Canvas lists them in some random order. As my number of courses builds up over the semesters, with many courses of the same name, I would like to be able to SORT my list of courses by Name, Semester, Recently used, etc.

So... please let us sort these courses so that we can easily find what we are looking for!

121 Comments
KimberlyBavis
Community Explorer

Any sort of organization for the courses tab and all courses page would be helpful. Searchable, sortable (by semester, alphabetical order, etc.), folders, anything.

hlovett
Community Participant

Faculty end up with many, many courses in the "All Courses" area of their navigation. It would be great if they could organize their course there or at least be able to filter them by quarter and/or search for them by name. 

James
Community Champion

@hlovett 

This idea is one that a lot of people want. There is already a feature idea for it with over 6 pages of comments. Your idea will likely be merged with that one: Make the course list sortable

There is also a solution I wrote that allows users to inject some JavaScript (it's easier than it sounds) into their pages and then provide the functionality: Sorting the All Courses List

Some institutions have installed the script site-wide so that all of the users have it rather than making each user individually install the script.

hlovett
Community Participant

Thanks @James  I will take a look! 

dmeyer1
Community Member

I completely agree with the idea of allowing us to sort our "all courses" page in a variety of ways: by term, by course name, etc.

lbethany
Community Explorer

We do need the ability to sort courses, or better yet arrange the courses on the dashboard as we would like, sort of like you arrange icons on the desktop of your computer.

MPathkiller
Community Member

The same sorting functions which are available in the Admin "Courses" view would be fantastic. At least allow us to sort by clicking on the current available headers in Courses > All courses. 🙂

jhicks21
Community Member

Here we are, 4 and a half years later. Nothing. 

The Tamper Monkey solution is the only one that comes close, but requires separate installations on every computer, which is ridiculous. It also doesn't allow multiple level sorts (i.e. by course, then term). 

How has one of the leading LMS still not enabled sort / search? It's just wild to me that we're relying on third party coding. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme