[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
lindsapj
Community Novice

Thank you for providing even more data to support this request. We are in

year four of this conversation. Baffles all of us why this has not been

accepted and the need addressed.

Patrick Lindsay, TCPL

College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science

Department of Commerce Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: Commerce Hub at Voice of America Learning Center - Rm 117J

7847 VOA Park Drive

West Chester, Ohio 45069

Phone. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan, Rockford

Peaches - from A League of Their Own.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:04 AM dmurphy@northwestern.edu <

venitk
Community Champion

@jwt01030 ‌ and Daniel Murphy, you might consider using Pages with to-do dates for subsequent deadlines.

• The first deadline goes in the discussion, with a note to check the calendar for the second, reply to a student deadline.
  • The second deadline goes in a page with a to-do date, placed in the module under the discussion. 

The advantage over the Calendar Event is this puts the date in the Modules and the Calendar. 

The advantage over making it an assignment is it doesn't trigger confusion or Canvas APIs.

I'd still rather have multiple due dates IN the discussion. However, we've found Pages with To-Do dates to be the best solution available right now. 

lindsapj
Community Novice

Thanks Katie.

Patrick Lindsay, TCPL

College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science

Department of Commerce Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: Commerce Hub at Voice of America Learning Center - Rm 117J

7847 VOA Park Drive

West Chester, Ohio 45069

Phone. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan, Rockford

Peaches - from A League of Their Own.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 3:05 PM venitk@uwec.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

dmurphy1
Community Participant

Hi Patrick,

I am glad to help the cause. It seems to have widespread support and no opposition. I suspect the only obstacles are technical.

Dan

jwt01030
Community Novice

Thanks, Katie --

I start each module with a page that gives a list of everything that is due for the week. I put response post due dates as calendar events. I have 21 to 25 students in a class. It is rare for a student to miss the second due date. The Canvas student app will remind them of the calendar event dates. 

~ Joyce Twing

dmurphy1
Community Participant

Hi Katie,

This seems like a good workaround with none of negative consequences I described. I will suggest this to the instructor.

Thanks,

Dan

dmurphy1
Community Participant

Hi Joyce,

This is also a good workaround. We’re going to test this as well.

Thanks,

- Dan

htandeta520
Community Novice

One more voice in the choir...we've needed this for years. It's NOT a discussion without back and forth. Give us our multiple due dates! ***If Blackboard can do it, why not Canvas?****

Hannah

sendres
Community Participant

I agree with  @joyhagen ‌ that milestones should be available for any type of assignment, not just discussions. We want to encourage students to make a submission, get feedback, make revisions, try alternative approaches, and make a final deliverable that reflects their best critical thinking and creativity from that process. This is a leap for most students (and many faculty) so it's important that the LMS support these assignments that evolve over time.

mpeterspanunto
Community Novice

Hi, since this discussion has been going on since 2015 and its now 2020 where is CANVAS in the process of creating multiple due dates for the discussion tool....one for posting and one or more for responding?

Thank you!