[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
cparker4
Community Member

Absolutely YES on dual due dates!!!

AlanCookie
Community Novice

Very interested in having this as a feature!  I have always said there needs to be a way to build this into the LMS.

davidgs
Community Participant

My university, the University of Washington, is conducting a pilot study on an app called Harmonize, which integrates into Canvas (including SpeedGrader). I'm finding it to be quite robust, and, best of all, it allows multiple due dates (which it calls "milestones") for a discussion!

So far, I'm loving it.

JustinMorrison
Community Member

YES on dual dates for 1st and later replies. Thank you.

linda_meeks
Community Member

Yes please!!!

aod
Community Member

YES! PLEASE! I've been wanting this for Years!  This would be so helpful for both instructors and students. 

kdburke
Community Explorer

It would be so nice if this feature was not limited to discussions. I have assignments that are meant to teach students material, but they all start it right before the deadline and then complain how they don't know the material when they are completing in.

mloy
Community Member

I cannot believe this question was posted about 6 years ago and no updates have been made to add this feature. I know Blackboard offers this, and it would help students stay on track with multiple due dates for discussions. Please consider this change, Canvas! 

jdick1
Community Participant

Commenting to add support for this! It's a very common request, particularly amongst our humanities teachers. I've been suggesting they create no submission assignments in the gradebook for earlier check-in/draft due dates, but it's very clunky.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

Since this is part of Discussions/Announcements Redesign: Release Change Log shouldn't the status be In Development?