[Discussions] Option for setting a number of discussion posts required before being flagged for grading

DESCRIPTION

In order to encourage students to participate more in the online discussion forum for their classes, many instructors require that they submit more than one post to a graded forum. Currently, when students submit just one post, they are flagged for grading in the Speedgrader (orange circle icon). Instructors who require more than one post before the discussion assignment is considered completed or available for grading have to look through each student who has submitted at least one post and see whether they have submitted the required amount.

IMPACT

It is a time-consuming task for the instructor to check every student who has been flagged for grading, since, in many cases, a student may not have yet submitted their second (or third, fourth, nth, etc.) submission, leading to wasted time and effort for an instructor.

PROPOSAL

Include an option in the discussion forum properties that allows instructors to set the number of posts a student must submit before they are flagged for grading.

129046_2015-11-13_09-59-18.png2015-11-13_09-59-18.png

31 Comments
JaxKey68
Community Member

Hello, I am new to this community forum. My school district(Clark County School District Las Vegas,NV) is now Distance Learning, and I really would like to vote on the mandatory number of posts pre-grade flagging idea. Will someone tell me how I vote on this proposal?

Thanks,

JaxKey68

huic
Community Participant

That'd be excellent! For "traditional" online discussion (post 1, reply 2) and many other online discussions, it makes no sense to grade students who have only made one post. Setting a minimum will prevent alert fatigue.

lmvance
Community Member

Can someone please link to the most current area where we can vote on this feature? Getting quite a few instructors asking for this as we're transitioning from Bb to Canvas.

JaxKey68
Community Member

How do I resubmit someone else’s idea that was archived? 

See below idea:

Option for setting a number of discussion posts required before being flagged for grading

(3)
DESCRIPTION

In order to encourage students to participate more in the online discussion forum for their classes, many instructors require that they submit more than one post to a graded forum. Currently, when students submit just one post, they are flagged for grading in the Speedgrader (orange circle icon). Instructors who require more than one post before the discussion assignment is considered completed or available for grading have to look through each student who has submitted at least one post and see whether they have submitted the required amount.

IMPACT

It is a time-consuming task for the instructor to check every student who has been flagged for grading, since, in many cases, a student may not have yet submitted their second (or third, fourth, nth, etc.) submission, leading to wasted time and effort for an instructor.

PROPOSAL

Include an option in the discussion forum properties that allows instructors to set the number of posts a student must submit before they are flagged for grading.

CANM
Community Member

We need a setting on the discussion to allow instructors to know when students have completed a particular number of posts.  I require one main post and two substantive comments, so I would like a setting that flags all discussions with 3 posts so that I can grade them early.  As it is right now, we have to wait until the end of the assignment week to grade them, or waste time every day in speedgrader scrolling student by student looking for those with the right number of posts.  What a waste of time and inconvenient!

CWit
Community Member

I receive this message when trying to suggest this idea again.

"You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

This is a feature that is very much needed and I'm shocked the idea has not progressed in the 7 years it has been discussed here. Can I get an update why this feature can't/won't be added? You say it hasn't received enough votes, but when I click on the link to vote it doesn't work. Is this idea closed?

cmei
Community Member

I, too, am very frustrated that no solution has been implemented and that there doesn't appear to be a way to vote for it at this time.

Denham
Community Participant

this would be incredibly valuable - we used the Show participants in "Needs Grading" status (!) after every N entries setting in Blackboard extensively and I'm really surprised that this doesn't exist in Canvas.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New