[Discussions] Show threading of posts in discussions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas LMS

Problem statement:

In the "legacy" discussions format, each individual post showed in it's own box, and the posts in a thread displayed with boxes connected. In the "new" format, there's nothing to visually separate posts or connect posts in a thread. This makes it difficult for some users to follow discussion threads; showing threaded responses only by indent is an accessibility problem, especially when paired with decrease in font size.

Proposed solution:

The "new" discussions needs a way to do both of the following: (1) show some kind of divider between individual posts in a thread and (2) show a connection between threaded posts. This would provide the visual cues some users rely on to follow threaded discussions.

User role(s):

instructor,student

Added to Theme

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2024-08-14) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

cmuir
Community Participant
Author

I see that "Line Separation Between Posts" is in beta.  What about a way to show connection between threaded posts? 

cmuir
Community Participant
Author

The dividers (line separations) between posts are an improvement, which I appreciate. 

But visual cues for threading—showing the connections as was done in the legacy discussions, not just indents or smaller fonts—is still very much needed.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2024-08-14)