[DocViewer] Print annotated comments from Speedgrader

Screenshot of print preview where track changes are included in printed version of documentWe have heard a few requests from instructors to get an export or printing function built into the Speedgrader that will allow them to print their annotated comments, similar to how track changes can be printed from Word (see screenshot).

The closest workaround is to download the annotated submission, open in Acrobat Pro and follow these instructions, which would be time-consuming.

Added to Theme

34 Comments
WilliamMiner
Community Novice

I allow students to resubmit corrected lab reports. In order to regrade the second submission, I need to print out the first corrected submission with the comments I made to see if they have been corrected. Currently, not only can I not print from SpeedGrader, when I download the associated pdf file to print it from another application the comments do not print with the document.

PeterE-S
Community Explorer

+1 Please implement this function - a new thread was even started this week for this: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Assignments-Students-Download-Instructor-Comme...

Surely students should be able to download and print feedback on their assignments?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

VPundir
Community Participant
Problem statement:

At the moment, SpeedGrader allows two different ways to download submissions: download originally submitted file from the down arrow in the right panel, and download annotated PDF from the download button on the left in the top toolbar. Unfortunately, the annotated PDFs do not show rubric descriptions, rubric comments, or the assignment comments. Further, even the annotations are "closed" by default. This makes it extremely difficult to squeeze any sort of use in a screen-less scenario. For example, if the students want to download and/or print the submission with complete feedback, they can't. Any discussions between the marker and the student is rendered impossible without the use of a connected screen. Similarly, in scenarios in which a complaint or an appeal needs to be made, documents can't simply be attached to such applications.

Proposed solution:

SpeedGrader should allow the download of a version of the submission with all types of feedback explicitly visible by default - including the annotations, the rubric description for the grade awarded, rubric comments, and assignment comments, similar to what TurnItIn FeedbackStudio offers. There are numerous scenarios in which this is needed, some of which are listed in the "problem to solve".

User role(s):

instructor